• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

how to make stock 2004 rx 1 mountain 50 lb lighter ??

dupa

Veteran
hi i have stock 2004 rx1 mt except skis-any sugestion how to drop around 50 lb ???
ps have 2000$ canadian for this project
thanx

Best bang for the buck would be to put in an M7 or 1M skid. You can get one for $300 USD. It drops around 22 #'s and decreased the approach angle significantly. With this you will have to put on 1/4" aluminum drop down brackets which saves another 5 #'s. So that is 27#'s for a little over $300 bucks. Then you can gut your exhaust for little to nothing which saves another 7 #'s and sounds great. Aftermarket seat saves around 6-7#'s but is pricey. That's pretty close to 50 #'s for around $1000 USD's. You could use the other $1000 for front end stuff like an aftermarket hood or front A-arms. All-in-all you should easily have the $$ to drop 50 #'s off the beast.

Fogot one other cheap mod, Lightweight battery. I fogot the one I have, but it is around 10 #'s lighter and was only $75 USD. You can then mount it in the belly pan area. If you do a search you can find a lot of info on this topic. Also, I just saw a titanium single exhaust in the classifieds for $125 and it saves 11 #'s. Good luck.

Tony at RVsports.com. A buddy of mine just ordered one the other day for $300 USD. It was a 141" M7 skid with 8" rear idler wheels. That will fit perfectly in the stock 151" yamaha track. If you do a search for AC skids you will find all the info needed to install an AC skid on your RX. I put a 151" King Cat skid in my 04 RX-1M along with the new 162" maverick track. My skid was $400. Fit's perfectly and rides much better on the trail and in the pow.

thanx for cool ideas...
ps
weather sux so far here around whistler/pemberton area -lots of rain -had a gooood ride last weekend lots of snow and than i got this idea about making this fat bitch nice and skiny one - best wishes DUPA

best way is to reach deeeeeeeeeeep into them pockets of yours.lol like stated above, do the seat, exhaust and skid. noob

hang on to your money, dont be putting that garbage in such a good sled.
Keep your eye on the sites, grab a used Ekholm skid for $1500.00, used 159, and fibreglass hood. I have a 159 skid and hood here, you can hve them for 1850.00, and THATS CHEAP, then sometime get the one piece ekholm tunnel with drop and roll, outclimb everyone.
I also have a holtzman NOS, 45 shot and 2 bottles.
Speaking from experience, you can do it right, or twice. Cheaping out is never the correct way, but if you watch you will find deals, especially with a year like this.

Southfork Sooner said:
So if I were to put a 162 on my snowmobile, which would I want, the 153" M7 skid or the 151" King Cat skid?

I believe either will do. I have a 151" King Cat skid with 8" rear idler wheels and 7 tooth 3" pitch drivers (little bigger than the 8 tooth 2.53" drivers). This fits very well. I believe Trxster has a 153" M7 skid that is working great for him. No need to spend money on a drop and roll with the AC skids. The approach angle is that good.

1850 $ Is a bunch of money.

you could loose a lot of weight for that price.

Batterie and filter is a cheap one mod. - 12 depend on batterie.
Drop down bracket too. Its a - 4 lbs here easy (mine are 4.9 lbs exactly lighter.
A set of idler too if you ride powder not ice (anyway, hyfax wear everywhere quickly with or without one :D - 3 lbs here

I can have you drop down bracket thickness you want that fit stock hole, Cheap

Seat does'nt save that much, stock seat weight about 12.6 lbs, but improve ride and handling when seated. (A must for me now since i ride mountainmod seat, way too much comfy too go without it.

:exc: too is great
but :drink: it's more fun

jf

I took my Canadian beaver bucks and turned them into real money (US dollars) and bought the following for weight savings.
M7 141" skid, $400 can for approx 25 lbs
White Knuckle Used exhaust, $300 can for approx 10 lbs
Boss seat used, $400 can for approx 10 lbs
Drop down brackets, $50 can for approx 7 lbs
ECP kit, performance and weight savings 5lbs? $200 can
Bracket and Battery, $100 can for 7 lbs
For $1500 you can save 60 lbs + not considering all the parts you can sell for cash!

Just to be sure

Yamaha rear drop down bracket weight 8 lbs for both

what kind of bracket do you have

Did you weight boss seat, it is an High Rise ?

thanks

jf

Here's what I have done and had about 50 lbs dropped until adding the MPI supercharger.

1. MPI rear transfer kit $50 US drops 5 lbs
2. Modded FRA in stock skid to ride like a HRP coil over $0 US drops 3lbs
3. Added HRP ice scratchers and removed all bogie wheels $50 US dropped 4.5 lbs.
4. Added MPI front A-arms $379 US drops 6.5 lbs
5. Added Batcap light weight dry cell battery $279 US drops 11 lbs
6. Removed swaybay and toolbox/beverageholde in nose $0 US drops 5.5 lbs
7. Installed Whiteknuckle QC-1 exhaust system $399 US drops 11 lbs
8. Bought new BOSS Highrise seat $436 US drops 7.2 lbs.

Total cost is $1593 US with a total weight loss of 52.7 lbs.

Now if you break it down into a balance thing (wieght saved in front vs. the rear) it comes out at; 29.7 lbs from the rear and 23 lbs from the front. This will keep the balance close to how it came from the factory. I'm betting it's closer to a 50/50 split though concidering that the bogies, seat and exhaust go from the front to the rear.

Jim

Back