• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I got a line on a new '05 RX1.............

Mark O

Expert
..........for $7,00.00. There's only one problem, it's that fugly flat black/gray combination OR a new '06 Vector ER for $7,200.00. Whadda ya think?????

For about $300 you can change the side panels...Then sell the grays right here :rocks:

Attachments

• IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_0064.JPG
    100_0064.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 237
The RX would be the way to go - if you like power - just keep in mind, if you are a very aggressive rider (like to pound the moguls and do some jumping quite often) - you will want to update the rear skid to 06 standards. If your a trail cruiser mainly (if you are considering a Vector, I am guessing you are), you won't really have problems wit the 05 mono.

Take the 06 Vector. It has more power on the low and mid range than the RX-1 and it gets 25% more gas milage. It also has the beafed up suspension and the better front suspension.

I just traded my 05 RX-1 for the 06RS Vector GT for that reason.

You should be able to get the 06 Vector GT for that price.

Whoa there snorover - front suspension may be better - but there is no way in this world the vector has better bottom and mid than an RX1.

That is just plain bad information to give someone.

77srxdude said:
Whoa there snorover - front suspension may be better - but there is no way in this world the vector has better bottom and mid than an RX1.

What's different in the front suspension, just the spring & shock??? Now, if I were to go with the '05 RX1, what updates should I be made aware of to knuckle the dealer for?

77srxdude said:

I gotta agree with you here. The Vector IS impressive, but not quite up to an RX-1. I own both.

Mark O said:
What's different in the front suspension, just the spring & shock??? Now, if I were to go with the '05 RX1, what updates should I be made aware of to knuckle the dealer for?

A little better geometry on the Vector. It's a bit better about inside ski lift than the RX-1, but the RX-1 can be tuned to be more than adequate.

As far as the updates on the RX-1 go, you should check with the dealer. They changed the bushings on mine as well os the short aluminum rods at the front mounting point. In '06 they are steel I believe. There is also an update to make the rails stronger where the middle bogey wheels attach because people were seeing cracks here. I don't have this update, nor do I have any cracks after 2,000 miles. Lastly, if you weigh more than 200 pounds or plan to ride rough trails relatively hard, buy the stiffer spring for the monoshock. It's $100 and you won't be disappointed. Other than that, ride it.

I have a 03 RX-1 that I have ridden 12,000 miles and I like the sled. A buddy has a 05 vector and I really like that sled as well . I think they are close up to 70 mph but after that the Rx-1 starts to shine.
However the vector corners flater ( and I have done lots to the Rx-1 that makes it much better than it was stock ) and most impressive is what the vector gets for fuel mileage 25 % better is pretty accurate. I am also torn on what to purchase next year but I would opt. for the vector GT if I go that way

For all of the 05 updates, I would suggest doing a search here.

The 05 mono-skid had quite a few weaknesses that were improved in 06. These include: beefed up front pivot arm, improved bushings, new mounting bolts, stronger slide rails, slide rail reinforcements, grease fittings, etc.

The 05 skid rides the same, but if you ride lots of miles or ride aggressively you will find cracks forming with an original 05 skid.

Since the sled is new you will have a warranty with it though. If you check the skid regularly and bring it in when parts start to crack you'll eventually end up with all of the new parts. I didn't catch one of the times the front pivot arm cracked on my sled and it took out the track (when it broke). Yamaha would not cover the track so it's worth it to find the cracks before the parts break right through.

This season my track looks almost new after close to 10,000 kms and my updated suspension has been holding up much better (although I did still find small cracks in the pivot arms and had them further reinforced).

The Pro Active CK suspension found in the 05 Vector and some 06 Vectors is just about bulletproof and the ride IMO is just about as good.

ReX said:
The 05 mono-skid had quite a few weaknesses that were improved in 06. These include: beefed up front pivot arm, improved bushings, new mounting bolts, stronger slide rails, slide rail reinforcements, grease fittings, etc..

How difficult is it for one to to get in there & drill & tap for grease fittings?

ReX said:
The 05 skid rides the same, but if you ride lots of miles or ride aggressively you will find cracks forming with an original 05 skid..

Are only aggressive drivers having problems with the rear skid, or most everyone in general?

Its not difficult to drill and tap them once the suspension is out but the metal is so thin that the zerk will protrude inside the tubing and the shafts will have to be clearanced in a lathe(at least thats what I used) because the bushing are very thin.Or you could weld bosses on the tubing and drill and tap the bosses(like the factory does).

Mark O said:
How difficult is it for one to to get in there & drill & tap for grease fittings?

It's not that simple. The problem is the material is too thin to simply drill and tap. You really have to pull the skid apart, drill holes, weld nuts in place and screw in fittings or simply weld the fittings in place. You can also turn the shafts down with a lathe, but I don't like the idea of thinning the shafts in any way.

Mark O said:
Are only aggressive drivers having problems with the rear skid, or most everyone in general?

Aggressive riders are having trouble often before 2000 miles. I expect even non-aggressive riders will eventually have problems.

So, having said and read all this. Here's my situation; Sitting side by side, both, the '05 RX1 & '06 Vector ER are priced just about identically, which makes the RX1 EXTREMELY tempting to me (mainly due to the power aspect). However, I'm not thrilled that rear suspension problems could be in my future with the RX1.

On the other hand, the bugs seem to be worked out of the '06 Vector ER's suspension, which is VERY appealing to me, but if I understand correctly, as with the '05 RS model line, track howl still is a big issue on the '06 Vectors......but not on the '05 RX1. Am I correct??? The track on my '04 RX1 is quiet while my '05 Venture's track is VERY loud.

All of my riding is on lakes & trails. Jumping the machine is not my thing at all. I've read all the posts here over the past year concerning welds breaking and bushings wearing out on the '05 skid, but is this happening with overly aggressive riding only or are mellow trail riders having problems as well? With the welding and/or lathe skills required, it sounds like adding grease fittings to the '05 skid is just beyond my abilities. I assume that one has to pull parts of the skid apart seasonally to lubricate it, but how much of a PIA is that? Are updated '06 parts that expensive & difficult to install...or even worth it???

Bottom line: The Vector ER will do everything that I need it to do, BUT, I DEAFinately don't want to have another sled that will leave me with ringing ears after an hour of riding. Because I am a horsepower nut, I like the RX1 a lot, however, I don't want suspension problems after the first season either. Such decisions!!!!

OK guys, you see my dilema, give me your best advise. I've got some dough burning a hole in my pocket!!! :D

THANKS!!!!! ;)!

Back