• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I got a line on a new '05 RX1.............

I just traded my 05 RX-1 for an 06 RS Vecter GT.

I put on 9538 miles on the 05 and my suspension failed and I had the so called track howl on the 05. I only trail ride, so you can see that the suspension is very weak on the 05.

The gas milage is 25% better on the Vecter and for trail riding you don't need the RX-1.

Personally I would still go with the 05 RX-1 because I want the hp and until my motor experience a rare and catastrophic failure (hopefully Yamaha is going to help me out - if they don't I won't be talking so positively about these sleds...) it is one sweet engine. Although the suspension is weak, for a few $100 (not including taking it apart) you can have it well reinforced so it doesn't break (hopefully) - or you can ride it and use the warranty (getting stronger 06 parts if it breaks).

I would insist on the rail reinforcement kit being installed right off the bat, as well as the updated bushings installed and the installation of grease fittings (by the dealer). I would also push for the 06 pivot arms (even they still crack - mine cracked after about 6000 kms; 2 buddies I ride with had them crack on their their Apex ER's after about 5000 kms of moderately aggressive riding).

None of us jump our sleds, just trail ride. We tend to keep the speed up over small stutter bumps and get a little air at times (not much). We do work our suspension fairly well. We also corner hard where we can (open fields, etc.), cornering up to the limit of traction. None of us have ever broken suspension arms on our Polaris, Cat, or Doo sleds and the 3 of us combined have about 75 years of sledding. Some of our previous sleds have well over 20,000 kms on them too.

One question for you. Which suspension is in the 06 Vector ER? I thought the ER came with the mono-shock suspension (I could be wrong). The bulletproof suspension is the Pro-Active CK that definitely was in the 05 Vectors, the 06 Vector (non-ER), the 06/07 Nitro, and the 07 RTX.

The track howl seems to exist on a random selection of 05 4-stroke sleds (and possibly 06, but I haven't heard anyone complaining). My 05 RX-1 had terrible track howl last year. This season with a new studded track (the original track was taken out by a suspension failure) and wider 04 idler wheels (the stock 05/06 idler wheels are junk IMO) the track is very quiet. My best guess is the main culprit is the track (somehow the sound couples with the exhaust resonance). I still wonder if simply installing 144 studs would get rid of the noise by changing the resonant frequency of the track.

I should also mention that even though my pivot arms are reinforced I did just find another small crack starting after close to 10,000 kms on those arms. Hopefully one more reinforcement will do it...

Mark O said:
I assume that one has to pull parts of the skid apart seasonally to lubricate it, but how much of a PIA is that?

First of all let me try to answer that question. It is VERY simple to pull this skid and take it apart and grease it annually. In my opinion this is all that is required. I don't have grease fittings and don't see the need for them. Take it apart, clean out all the old grease, and liberally apply new grease each year. While you have it apart replace all of the plastic bushings and inspect the suspension for cracks. I didn't find any cracks last year.

Now ReX has had many problems with his, but you need to take a couple of things into consideration. Number one, he rides something like 25,000 miles a year, :D just kidding ReX, but you do put a lot of miles on compared to a guy who is going to ride in NH. Number 2, I get the impression he rides it pretty hard. If mark gets 1000 - 1500 miles my guess would be that would be a BIG year for him. So you will have your suspension out every 1500 miles, clean it grease it and reassemble it and you are not likely to have the issues he has had.

I would actually suggest that if you buy the RX-1 now you should pull the skid before you ever even ride it and make sure there is plenty of grease in it and that the components are up to date. It really isn't that tough to do.

Snorover said:
I just traded my 05 RX-1 for an 06 RS Vecter GT.

I put on 9538 miles on the 05 and my suspension failed and I had the so called track howl on the 05. I only trail ride, so you can see that the suspension is very weak on the 05.

The gas milage is 25% better on the Vecter and for trail riding you don't need the RX-1.

Again, 9538 miles on a sled not even two seasons old. When you do that many miles you will not be doing even a third of the maintenance that someone who does 1500 -2000 miles a year is able to do. There simply isn't time for you to do it when you are riding that much, not your fault, just a fact.

Half the reason to buy these sleds is the convenience - and having to pull the skid every year and replace all bushing is a joke.

Pulling the skid can be simple and it can be not so simple as well. Anyone who has ever torn a sled apart knows all the little stupid things you can run into. Not to mention backordered parts - i have 2 buddies that are riding on chitty bushings because they got tired of waiting for parts.

Have the zerks put in and updated bushings - then it will be a once every three years deal like all the other brands.

I decided to pull my skid every year a couple of years ago. If a half a day of work sometime in the Spring, Summer or Fall will save me a day of riding in the Winter I'm all over it. Even more, if it saves the group I ride with from having to deal with problems on my sled due to lack of maintenance even better. These things take a beating, it's only fair that they deserve a little attention in the offseason.

Last year after 800 miles on my 05 i noticed it wasnt transfering as well as when new and ride quaility wasnt as good either.I was in UP and couldnt pull it apart.So at 1700 miles when I got back ,pulled it apart and most all of the bushings were shot worn completly through.Dealer gave me all new bushings and shafts under warranty,thats when I installed zerks.I grease it now just about every ride and when the pivot arm broke It went back to dealer around 2950 miles all the bushings and shafts were still like new.The pivot arm was cracked way before the 2950 miles but they were on nationwide back order,so I rode it and kept close eye on it and had dealer replace it in the summer with the 06 pivot arm and one new rail.

Just make shure when you buy the sled your dealer will take care of you if and when you have problems with suspension.

I really like my 05 but they have a few bugs that needs to be worked out.

The grease fittings and the updated bushings are worth it in my experience.

Last season every 3000 kms or 2000 miles the bushings were all shot and needed replacing.

This season I put about 9500 kms on the sled and the updated (06) bushings are still in very good shape. I do grease the skid very regularly (at least every 1000 miles or 1600 kms - except on long saddle bag trips).

I tend to agree with QCRider; that a rider that doesn't push the sled will likely see no problems (other than worn bushings & idler wheels and bearings) for many miles - likely 5000+. The problem with this is by the time you want to sell it or trade up, it will likely have enough miles on it to have suspension problems. Knowing that the suspensions are on the weak side you'll also keep worrying about it - which takes away some of the enjoyment of sledding. I think if you look at the 05 sleds out there, at this point (almost 2 seasons) a very significant percentage have had suspension problems.

Even with my "hard" riding style (according to QC... :D ) I didn't see a single crack in the suspension until well over 5000 kms (3000 miles) and that was a very small, hairline crack. If I hadn't inspected it very carefully I probably wouldn't have had a problem for at least 1000 additional kms.

Keep in mind though that there are many others (who I suspect ride harder than me) that have broken the front pivot arm in two pieces at well under 2000 miles. Some in the 1000 mile range.

As far as maintenance. I am very meticulous with my sleds. My skid has been out 4 or 5 times this season for routine inspections (including pre-season), my oil (engine and chaincase) has been changed every 2500-3500 kms (1500-2200 miles), my filter changed every time also except once, it's been greased at least 7 times, chain tension was checked and adjusted every 1000-1500 kms, every accessible bolt on the sled was checked for torque halfway through the season (anything not tight was removed and loctited), stud torque has been checked at least 5 times, the driveshaft clutch side bearing was changed at 5000 kms (just in case), etc.

As QCRider stated, these skids are very easy to remove. I can pull my skid in about 10 minutes and install it in about the same. However it takes me several hours to replace all of the skid bushings from start to finish (typically changing a few bearings at the same time). The bearings and bushings on the upper rear shaft take the most time to change (and last season wore very quickly).

I agree with everything you say ReX. Remember the yearly mileage differences though. Most of us won't put as many miles on our sleds in 5 or 6 years as you did in two. I just plan to pull mine at the end or beginning of each season and replace anything that looks worn and re-weld anything that is cracked.

By the way, the accessory wheels and bearings held up great and do have replaceable bearings in them.

OK GUYS. I PUT 5320 MILES ON LAST YEAR AND 4218 THIS YEAR. LAST SPRING I PULLED THE SKID AND DID A COMPLETE OVERHAUL, EVEN GREASING THE IDLER WHEELS. THE MONO SHOCK HAD FAILED AND YAMAHA REPLACED IT. THIS YEAR BEFORE I HAD 1000 MILES ON IT THE SKID FAILED AND WAS REPLACED BY YAMAHA.I GO OVER THE SLED COMPLETLY WHEN I GET BACK FROM EACH TRIP. I RIDE ALOT BY MY SELF, SO I REQUIRE A SLED IN VERY GOOD CONDITION.
BY THE WAY I AM RETIRED SO I HAVE ALL KINDS OF TIME ON MY HANDS TO TAKE CARE OF MY SLED AND I RIDE VERY CAREFULLY AS I AM FORBIDDEN TO RIDE BY MY DOCTOR AS I HAVE A VERY BAD BACK. I JUST TRADED THE 05 IN AND THE PEOPLE AT THE DEALERSHIP COULDN'T BELIEVE IT HAD 9538 MILES ON IT BECAUSE IT LOOKED LIKE NEW.

Well, I appreciate all the input & advise. If anyone has something to add to this subject, please keep it coming.

This dealer BADLY wants the RX1 to leave his showroom. I think that I'll pay him a visit on Friday with a list of skid recommendations that you guys have come up with & see what he'll do for me to make me want to buy it. Hopefully, he'll be motivated enough to ease my concerns. If not, I'll simply buy a Vector ER & figure out what to do about the track noise in the off season.

On a side note, I just found another dealer who has '05 & '06 Vector ERs for $6,500.00 & $7,000.00 respectively. Since I'll be paying cash, I have a feeling that dealer #1 won't let me out of his door empty handed. 8)

I would be happy to trade a gloss black hood for the flat black hoos. PM me.

Snorover said:
OK GUYS. I PUT 5320 MILES ON LAST YEAR AND 4218 THIS YEAR. LAST SPRING I PULLED THE SKID AND DID A COMPLETE OVERHAUL, EVEN GREASING THE IDLER WHEELS. THE MONO SHOCK HAD FAILED AND YAMAHA REPLACED IT. THIS YEAR BEFORE I HAD 1000 MILES ON IT THE SKID FAILED AND WAS REPLACED BY YAMAHA.I GO OVER THE SLED COMPLETLY WHEN I GET BACK FROM EACH TRIP. I RIDE ALOT BY MY SELF, SO I REQUIRE A SLED IN VERY GOOD CONDITION.
BY THE WAY I AM RETIRED SO I HAVE ALL KINDS OF TIME ON MY HANDS TO TAKE CARE OF MY SLED AND I RIDE VERY CAREFULLY AS I AM FORBIDDEN TO RIDE BY MY DOCTOR AS I HAVE A VERY BAD BACK. I JUST TRADED THE 05 IN AND THE PEOPLE AT THE DEALERSHIP COULDN'T BELIEVE IT HAD 9538 MILES ON IT BECAUSE IT LOOKED LIKE NEW.

Doesn't the GT have the same suspension as the '05 RX-1? Other than being updated to the '06 specs? Or am I wrong?

All the 06 sleds have the beefed-up suspensions and the 05 Vector front-end. The GT has the better shocks up front.

Back