• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

In line coolant heater

I agree that an inline heater does not circulate the coolant. Heated coolant, however circulates on its own as warm coolant rises and cold coolant settles into the lows. In general I'd say install the heater near but below the engine and above the heat exchanger.

The solution to the block heater is a pair of Katt's 2" x 5" 50 Watt heating elements. Put one on the front of the block after you polish the flash off and put one on the sump pan. You can leave them plugged in all night. Don't go higher in wattage or they will be too hot. I have used these for two winters and always starts at -30C with no problem.

IMG_4308.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4314.JPG

BP

Interesting. Did you splicevthem together or are you running two extension cords?

Separate cords and each is labeled so you know which one is plugged in. I added these to my buddies Viper but he has not used them yet. I have added this info to many forums but all readers just poo-poo the idea. All I can do is put it out there. Do what you want but I can tell you it works and also has worked for years on another buddies Vector. I believe the heater part number I used was Katts 26050 50 Watt self adhesive pad. I got the ones with the three prong plug. Use a 4 meter long 3 prong extension cord with a 3 tap LIGHTED female end. That way you know that the hotel outlet works. This does not heat the water much so the cold start program is not affected. I used the inline water heater below the water pump on my 2001 T-Cat and it was a bunch of crap. Since then, I use a heating pad on an aluminum plate bolted to the bottom crankcase mounting bosses on the big T-Cat engine. I plug it in when I get up and in an hour it is ready to start with a 500 watt pad.

BP

IMG_4783.JPG

You don't have any problems with the plugs there by your footwell? I feel like I'd be snagging those all the time on my sled.

No poo-poo here. I think it works. Buddy had both water heater and at least one pad heater on both the engine and the battery. He could go at 40 below.

I don't have problems with my foot but for the most part I sit down and stay that way. I don't move around much. When riding down south here, the heater is not needed. I stuff the cords up over the tube under the plastic so they don't hang down. I would think you would always need it in Anchorage. Down here in southern Ontario we don't get snow anymore. I think the coldest I have seen with that sled was around -28 to -30C. I heard one guy with a Doo 1200 complaining he could not start his sled below -21C, but would not invest any time to correct the problem. Just bitch about it.

You can put the cords anywhere you want. I did not want to be always opening the side cover in the cold. They are more of a pita when it's time to change chaincase oil. When you find a better spot, let us all know and I will try it.

BP

As with any engine, it is more important to warm the oil than the coolant. Heat pads are a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Big Pussy,
Thanks for sharing the pictures in detail, much appreciated. I am thinking one 125W under the oil pan would be good and plug it into a wall receptacle timer so it turns on a few hours before ride time

gary.sooley….good one and have thought of that

Last edited:
Big Pussy, met you last winter at Tatachikapita, and I am just doing your suggestion to my Sidewinder. I am planning to have cords come out by the goggle bag.

Back