• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Inexpensive Navigation system - Garmin Nuvi

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 Vector ltx GT
2010 MXZ X 1200
I have been using a Garmin Map 78s with the Ontario Snowmobile trail maps for years. Even thought I have it mounted on the bars right in front of me I find that the screen is too small and with the zoom level it can be difficult to determine where you are particularly at speed.

I purchased a Garmin Nuvi for twenty dollars, a ram mount off Amazon for 35 and a holder that attaches to the ram for 14. Installed my Ontario Snowmobile trail map and turned on the breadcrumb feature.

These are not weatherproof so I used gorilla tape to cover the speaker, voice input and the SD card slot.

Attachments

• 2020-11-24 06.08.53.jpg
    2020-11-24 06.08.53.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 2020-11-24 06.09.20.jpg
    2020-11-24 06.09.20.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 2020-11-24 06.09.33.jpg
    2020-11-24 06.09.33.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 134

Same set up on my Viper with VV mapping. 3 years no problems. Maps, Ram mount, Nuvi off of eBay and I’m right around $100 total

Nice mounting job. I did the same on my Viper stealing from RockerDan's design and mounted to my steering as well. I did fry one last year so this year I went crazy with clear silicon. The crack around the touch screen and the housing as well as the seams around the device is very subseptible to water infiltration. I took post-it notes and covered the screen other than a 1/16" gap around the perimeter. Then I pushed silicon into that gap as well as filled the speaker and seams all the way around the unit. This will should keep everything nice and sealed.

Does any Garmin Nuvi series work for snowmobile trail mapping, or do some Nuvi's series have more/better "mapping" properties then others. I own two Nuvi for the car. Not familiar with the Nuvi trail/breadcrumb feature, but I haven't looked. Thanks

Does any Garmin Nuvi series work for snowmobile trail mapping, or do some Nuvi's series have more/better "mapping" properties then others. I own two Nuvi for the car. Not familiar with the Nuvi trail/breadcrumb feature, but I haven't looked. Thanks
I believe there were a few that didn't do well in the cold. You'll have to do a quick search for the model #. Nuvi 50 is a model proven to work. I'm currently using a Nuvi 57.

I rely on the trackback feature ( breadcrumb) its really nice when running lakes as you know coming home that you are on the same route as when you were heading out. I also like it as I have been turned around on the trails and it can be handy finding your way back

Nice mounting job. I did the same on my Viper stealing from RockerDan's design and mounted to my steering as well. I did fry one last year so this year I went crazy with clear silicon. The crack around the touch screen and the housing as well as the seams around the device is very subseptible to water infiltration. I took post-it notes and covered the screen other than a 1/16" gap around the perimeter. Then I pushed silicon into that gap as well as filled the speaker and seams all the way around the unit. This will should keep everything nice and sealed.
I was thinking about doing that very thing with the silicone. I wondered about taking it apart and doing it from the inside.

I was thinking about doing that very thing with the silicone. I wondered about taking it apart and doing it from the inside.

Might work from the inside but I found it easier just to seal up from the outside where ever water could potentially get in. Guys have gotten away with not sealing and they've lasted for years.

Breadcrumb feature is awesome for returning across lakes, etc. after a long day , at night, in fog, etc.

Same set up on my Viper with VV mapping. 3 years no problems. Maps, Ram mount, Nuvi off of eBay and I’m right around $100 total
X2

Guys I really like having GPS as with the frequent trail changes things do not always look familiar.

2 years ago I was doing my normal route and decided I would do it in reverse. MISTAKE things look very different the other way. Any Way it had snowed was beautiful and I am cruising along for 80+ miles and see a sign, MUST BE WRONG- it says I am 26 miles from Ely Mn. I was not supposed to be anywhere near ELY. I had missed a turn, now low on fuel NOT know the area . Stopped to talk to a group and they confirmed location. Where is fuel? Should I go all the way to ELY, wrong direction for home, Wife will be worried I will be very late. So I push it to go 40-50 miles back and “MAKE IT” to gas then make it home, late and THANKFUL I made it.

Point is I got a used Garmin, VV Maps snowmobile chip and NOW I know where I am No matter what it looks like. Much less worry. THis was a trail i had ridden for many years......it just was CHANGED and boom I was LOST. Easy to laugh at myself now, knowing it turned out OK

A friend runs the Nuvi in a zippered case. He's happy with it but wants my setup.

I run a Garmin Montana 680T in a charging mount connecting to a Ram mount on my bar clamp. I'm very happy with it. The touch screen works with gloves on. Waterproof. Only down side is the screen size but I have it mounted as close to my helmet as possible. I'm also running the VV mapping.

I have my Garmin track me and input it into the Relive App

A friend runs the Nuvi in a zippered case. He's happy with it but wants my setup.

I run a Garmin Montana 680T in a charging mount connecting to a Ram mount on my bar clamp. I'm very happy with it. The touch screen works with gloves on. Waterproof. Only down side is the screen size but I have it mounted as close to my helmet as possible. I'm also running the VV mapping.

I used Map 78s for years just found the screen was too small. That is the only reason I went this route.

Hi Confused, I also have a Garmin 680t and I just downloaded the RELIVE app into my iPhone X...how does the Relive app talk / communicate with the Garmin 680? Thanks for sharing safety info. Joe

It sounds like Yamadoo sometimes rides alone..I do this sometimes also, when I do I try to ride popular trails in case I get into trouble with breakdown or accident...might be a good idea to get a personal satellite emergency beacon so the authorities can find you in a real emergency when cell communication is lost. Joe

Back