• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is Yamaha admitting to Jackshaft Bearing Problem?

I spoke with my dealer today. Yes, Yamaha is aware of the problem. At their technical schools in spring 2003, Yamaha taught their classes about checking the jackshaft bearing and making sure it was aligned properly. Is Yamaha doing anything else? That I don't know.

After 2 days of endless busy signals... I finally got through to Customer Service (1-800-962-7926). Gave them all my info. and what happened. Asked them why Yamaha or my Dealer never informed me about a possible jackshaft bearing problem. Their answer......(hold onto your seats, your not going to believe this)...... "Yamaha is not aware of any problems with the jackshaft bearing" :shock: :shock:
They said once I get the sled to the dealer, they will decide on what happened....they (Dealer) has the option to call in a "Regional Tech." to look at it. Customer Service also reminded me that my warranty had expired. :cry:
Meanwhile.....the sled still sits atop a Glacier. Been snowing heavy for 2 days. 2ft. here at sea level = 4 to 5 ft. at 6000ft. With a little wind in the mix... there won't even be a bump in the snow. Starting to lose hope that I will even find my sled.........................until June.

2003 RX-1 Mtn. for sale $1.00 (as is, where is)

CONVERT, What i am told the bearing failed then the heat caused the aluminum collar to back off the threaded shaft. I do not know what the tourqe in ft. lbs is but i saw the collar loosened easily by hand on a sled that is new. It makes me wonder if the collar loosened first.

I caught my collar coming loose before serious damage occured.

The bearing seems to be great.

I installed a new shim to prevent the collar from coming all the way out.

Waiting for my parts as we speak.

VT RX1 thanks for the feedback the fact that they could loosen a new one by hand makes me wonder that also. I was lucky only a mile from home when mine came loose according to my dealer the bearing looked fine but he replaced it anyway Yamaha insisted it must of gotten hot! I'm not so sure! too many guys out here have found the collar loose when checking it!

Iron Dog said:
After 2 days of endless busy signals... I finally got through to Customer Service (1-800-962-7926). Gave them all my info. and what happened. Asked them why Yamaha or my Dealer never informed me about a possible jackshaft bearing problem. Their answer......(hold onto your seats, your not going to believe this)...... "Yamaha is not aware of any problems with the jackshaft bearing" :shock: :shock:
They said once I get the sled to the dealer, they will decide on what happened....they (Dealer) has the option to call in a "Regional Tech." to look at it. Customer Service also reminded me that my warranty had expired. :cry:
Meanwhile.....the sled still sits atop a Glacier. Been snowing heavy for 2 days. 2ft. here at sea level = 4 to 5 ft. at 6000ft. With a little wind in the mix... there won't even be a bump in the snow. Starting to lose hope that I will even find my sled.........................until June.

2003 RX-1 Mtn. for sale $1.00 (as is, where is)

I'd recommend you document as much of this as you can, especially anything that proves you attempted to get the machine back home (helicoptor reciepts with cancelled written on them, maybe something in writing about the conditions by the pilot, etc.).

If the sled ends up lost, as long as you can proove you did everything reasonable to retrieve it, your insurance should cover it (assuming you have full coverage). They might want to take something off for the damage (failed transmission), but you'll still be way ahead.

Good luck,

Steve

Thx for advice Steve, I started a Journal that nite. I've also been advised that this is starting to get up into the $$$ that I may have to take possible legal action to regain some of my loss :cry: Geez, all I want is my sled back...and running like she did! I still love this sled!

Yooper...Hey good idea! The pilot only said I couldn't ride IN the chooper!! Will send you some Pics!!

Irondog, this is Deshkae from Marshall Alaska. Your story is a sad one. Feels like you left one of your kids in a cold dark place and forgot about them. Hope you have a GPS location on the sled or an avalance beacon.

Does Y.E.S have towing coverage. Oh you dont have YES. Sucks to be you, just kidding. Good luck. Praying for you man.

Replasement bearing

My collar went out after 1500 km, it was mounted from the clutch side. My Yamaha dealer fixed it as a warranty but the collar was backordered so I bought an SKF bearing and collar, my dealer payed for it. The bearing is 6206 2RS1K and the threaded collar with lock-nut is H206.

jack shaft

well the home made spacer and 6206 bearing that i have installed works very well i got in over 250 miles on yesterday took the lake from sioux lookout to ear falls then up to red lake and back to ear falls then trail back to sioux affter ear falls it was trail busting all the way as it there was a major snow storm that moved in on us about 6in on the way to red lake and it was all fill in on the way back and the last leg from ear falls to sioux had about 10-12 in,s for 180 km,s and it was still snowing heavy what a great ride if this bearing and home made stright sleve could handle that heavy load for that mutch time i guess its fixed. three of use whent 2 rx 1,s and one mxz 670. no falures just a great ride with lots of fresh snow two stops for coffie one for lunch and one to remove the air fillter foom (pluged with snow) then go some more. we left at about 9.30 am arived home at about 7.00 pm :D

Iron Dog,

Just wondering - why don't you take the MM700 and a couple of buddies and try to find your sled before paying the big bucks on the chopper & plane?

It could also be a good time sledding...

Another option - as long as the crank isn't bent - and it might not be too fun - but why not bring a jackshaft, bearing, tools, chaincase lube, borrow a spare primary & secondary, etc. and find the sled and fix it in place.

Even though you'll end up fixing some of it yourself, you'll save a bundle on the chopper, etc. then bring it to the dealer for a new side panel, secondary, etc.

Oops - just read your post again.... Bolt went into the block...?... Can the engine be run?

Steve

I FOUND HER!!!!!!!!!

A buddy flew me up there today (airplane) and low and behold THERE she was! Windsheild and Handlebars sticking out of the snow!!
(She looked so lonely) :(
After a week of storms and lots of snow...was starting to think I wouldn't find her till June. Going up in the chopper in the morning to get her.
Got a pic of her from the air but don't know how to post it. Will take lots of pics tomorrow when I get her.

Back