• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jackshaft Bearing Question

LuvMyWarrior

Extreme
Hello,

I repacked the jackshaft bearing on my sleds at the end of last year before taking them to the dealer to have them summerized. Today I was putting a belt on and I looked behind the secondary and saw the pic I have attached and it is the same on both sleds - 07 Attak GT'S. I don't think I packed the bearing with too much grease as the seals went on fine and I didn't use anymore or less grease than I did when I did the driveshaft and its seal is fine on both sleds. Is this normal or is something wrong? The only times the sleds would of run would of been at the dealer.

Thanks!

Mark

Attachments

• Jackshaft.jpg
    Jackshaft.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 90

Can't really see much, except some grease. Is the seal gone, or is it leaking passed the seal? Either way it should be fine. Thats the upper and it does not get much in the way of water up there, its the bottom one you need to keep packed well. Lotsa water down there!

The seal appears to be on and it looks like it is oozing out a little and then this got on the shaft - I guess I put too much grease on. The secondary is on so it is a little hard to see but I can see the seal and as far as I can tell it is on. i Know the seal was on and fine when we finished the job last year. I just don't want it to get on the belt or to have the seal come off if I over packed it. My friend helped me do it and I dont feel comfortable taking off the secondary before a trip. The driveshaft bearing at the bottom is good to go.

it looks like the excess grease just came out, no big deal and nothing to worry about. it will be a problem if it gets on the clutches, so wipe it off.

I just thought of something - the cover of the bearing has a snap ring on it so the seal cant come off. I guess it has to be too much grease. I looked at Rockerdan's instructions and pics when doing last year and my bearings before putting the seal back on looked like his. Thanks a million Dan by the way if you read this - you have awesome instructions and I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge. Helps people like me a ton!

Some people are mechanically inclined, I am mechanically declined unfortunately.

I love this forum and appreciate everyones help when in need.

Mark

change the bearing

got 5,000 kms out of my first bearing , changed it over the summer, dont believe in repacking, I dont think you can get the seal out without damaging it, trust me I tried. took it all apart not that hard, just takes time. this sight give excellent step by step instructions on how to do it. no I dont even bother checking it till the seasons over, put gas in the machine and drive on.

Re: change the bearing

rx1 man 04 said:
got 5,000 kms out of my first bearing , changed it over the summer, dont believe in repacking, I dont think you can get the seal out without damaging it

I just did it before this season...You have to use one of those dentist tools and be REALLY careful but it can be done...Popped right off, popped right back on.

Back