• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jumper Cables

2BLUE4U

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
This year will be my first year with a four stroke so I have some stupid questions.

1) Do most of you carry jumper cables?

2) Does Yamaha sell a set that is compact and would fit nicely in the trunk of the sled?

3) How often have you had needed a jump start?

4) At least one time a year I ride on a weekend when the temp doesn't get above -10 F and as low as -45 F (not wind chill, actual temp). Will I need to store the sled indoors to even have a chance at starting it the next morning?

5) Does it pay to buy the battery heater they sell?

Many pasts last year of happy 4 strokers starting way below zero, ie 35+ below . :4STroke:
I don't have any personal experience but was pleasantly surprised by the many positive reports and will be buying an Attak as soon as I can.

Yamadoo

I carry a set with me, but have never had to use them. Coldest nights that I have left it out in were around -20 or -25 F.

It has always started up - obviously it cranks a little harder, but I have not had any problems getting it started.

2BLUE4U said:
1) Do most of you carry jumper cables? No
2) Does Yamaha sell a set that is compact and would fit nicely in the trunk of the sled? Yes, but not needed

3) How often have you had needed a jump start? Never
4) At least one time a year I ride on a weekend when the temp doesn't get above -10 F and as low as -45 F (not wind chill, actual temp). Will I need to store the sled indoors to even have a chance at starting it the next morning? No
5) Does it pay to buy the battery heater they sell? Save your money

I have had to jump start my 03 RX-1 twice. First occasion it was 40C below and the second time it was 45C below. The day it was 45C below, we jump started some 2-stroke sleds and the propane tanks at the hotel were frozen. There was a Warrior on this trip with synthetic oil and it only had to be jump started when it was 45 below. In both situations, this was in the morning after the sleds sat outside all night. Riding during the day and stopping for lunch to warm up for a few hours in 38 below weather, the sled would start right up.

Now these were extreme conditions and it was before Yamaha introduced the semi-synthetic oil. Since I switched to the semi-synthetic I have had no need to use jumper cables. Personally, I don't see the need for jumper cables because when in these extreme conditions, you are always staying at a lodge where someone will have cables to jump you in the morning.

One guy with a turbo had the oil heater cable, but he rarely used it.

Personally, I think I would go for a block heater over the battery heater. If the block is even somewhat warm the whole engine turns over easy so the battery isn't taxed. Keeping the oil somewhat warm also prevents dry startups. Personally mine started at -25F which is as cold as it ever gets here and colder than I would ride.

-40F and my brothers has a hard time starting. This is before the new oil. I have now put a block heater in it. Real easy to install.

Spend your money on a coolant hose heater. Easy install into the coolant hose and it keeps the entire motor very warm. Only cost about $35.00. Cold starts not an issues especially with the semi synthetic, but it sure is a lot easier on the motor with it plugged in.

2BLUE4U said:
This year will be my first year with a four stroke so I have some stupid questions.

1) Do most of you carry jumper cables?

Never have!

2) Does Yamaha sell a set that is compact and would fit nicely in the trunk of the sled?

Yes I believe they do!

3) How often have you had needed a jump start?

Never in 3,000 miles.

4) At least one time a year I ride on a weekend when the temp doesn't get above -10 F and as low as -45 F (not wind chill, actual temp). Will I need to store the sled indoors to even have a chance at starting it the next morning?

-45 is damn cold. Most two strokes have a hard time with those temps. Trick I used with my 1000 tripple two stroke was take the hair drier from the room and lay it on the pipes blowing on the jugs for twenty mins and presto easy starting. Two hairdriers was even better. I've seen two stroke guys pour hot water over the jugs (slowly and carefully so as not to wet all the electrics) where they had no hydro.

At -45 indoors would be way better on any sled.

5) Does it pay to buy the battery heater they sell?

For those temps I would want to warm up any motor if I could. A warm battery gives more cranking but the motor is a block of ice I would go with a inline engine heater for -45 below. Yami has one (aftermarket as well) dealer will install. Battery heater probably not needed. Synthetic oil or not thats hard cranking.

I've seen RX's start right down to -35F and colder on regular oil so semi synthetic or full synthetic should go even colder. I really have to question if this is a good thing for any motor when its that cold. My sled in -45! I'd want it plugged in. Hair driers (be carefull with them they can melt things) something or someway to warm it up before starting. IMHO

I know at -25 to -30 the RX starts fine. At -45 I don't want to ride anyway. I have but hey it just way to cold to be fun anymore. It starts to become a survival ordeal more than anything else. I've had the frostbite to prove it.

only had to jump start once at -42 my own fault did not put any gasline antifreeze in and it came out of a warm garage the night before . starter jets were froze up . trouble light under hood for 10-15 min quick boost fired right up . started it next day at - 43 . ( killed the battery trying to get it going with the jets froze ) 9,000 miles on sled now .
Tom-RX1

Back