• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just Another Day On TY....Oh Was It Different

BOUNTYHUNTER said:
YIKES.... what you think that Yamaha Nytro motor just DROPPED IN THERE with that side exhaust. Ill bet Yamaha has been working on this for a long time.
….Can’t wait to hear those Reviews…..WOW my ears are sore from just today’s activity. Make Your CHOICE and BE HAPPY.
:sled1:

... give me a break ... re-routing the exhaust is not rocket science ... is that the best Yamaha R&D can come up with after 18 months! Plenty of backyard hacks and mod shops could have done that in far less time ... there are all kinds of sleds on here (and other sites) with Nytro engine dropped in ... tube chassis, polaris chassis, etc., turbos, supers, new front end geometry, better skids, better boards, and so on ..... it's not rocket science!

Yam engineers must have spent 17 months scratching their ba!!s, 2 weeks on holidays and 2 weeks doing the mods! I'm not bashing the sled, not bashing AC ... just saying that if this is all they have to show after 18 months - given the scope of their R&D capabilities - then give up selling sleds and concentrate on producing the engines & drive trains - I'm fine with that. Total load of BS talking "industry first" and such ... its not a new chassis and its not a new motor! They did not post weight #'s! It's like a box of Cornflakes with NEW stamped on the box!

Sure this may be the ultimate sled ... time will tell ... I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and not bash .... just saying that Yamaha can and should have done the new chassis in house .... troll the sites ... all the mods are there to be incorporated ... even if they had to buy out some of the tech it would be YAMAHA. Oh and by the way, box / truss / arch structures have been the foundation of construction & engineering for just a bit longer than any of the OEM's have been in existence .... should be common knowledge.

I predicted the P. & M. The degree of it I was not prepared for however! Yamaha answered about all the biggest complaints with the Nytro. Cat may have also answered the biggest complaints with the procross chassis.

Seems the Cat folk loved the chassis to death but hated the motor problems. Not motors blowing but belt and some other problems with the installation of the big twin. Now there is talk of the Yami motor being the motor that was to go in the chassis all along and the Cat motor was just stuck in till the Yamacat release.

There are many Cat guys who would never buy a Yami chassis sled are lining up for the Yamacat. They are excited to see what Cat and Yami can do together.

I see this as a win win! Best of both worlds. Makes me wonder what new motors and chassis are next. I think this is just a test like sticking your toes in the water before you jump in. Anyway the Cat guys are happy because one of the best chassis if not the best chassis just got one of the best motors (I reserve the right to call the Apex motor the best). Unfortunatly the Yami guys are not happy with the upgrade even though it solves all the pi$$ing and moaning about the Nytro since it came out.

Guess there just is no pleasing some people. To those who hate the Yamacat, buy an Apex XTX. I love mine, its ride, its handling, its power. Guess I'm just easy to please!

couch said:
Yam engineers must have spent 17 months scratching their ba!!s, 2 weeks on holidays and 2 weeks doing the mods! I'm not bashing the sled, not bashing AC ... just saying that if this is all they have to show after 18 months - given the scope of their R&D capabilities - then give up selling sleds and concentrate on producing the engines & drive trains - I'm fine with that.

Ah but is this all they have been working on? I think there is a lot going on at TRF behind the scenes!

couch said:
BOUNTYHUNTER said:
YIKES.... what you think that Yamaha Nytro motor just DROPPED IN THERE with that side exhaust. Ill bet Yamaha has been working on this for a long time.
….Can’t wait to hear those Reviews…..WOW my ears are sore from just today’s activity. Make Your CHOICE and BE HAPPY.
:sled1:

... give me a break ... re-routing the exhaust is not rocket science ... is that the best Yamaha R&D can come up with after 18 months! Plenty of backyard hacks and mod shops could have done that in far less time ... there are all kinds of sleds on here (and other sites) with Nytro engine dropped in ... tube chassis, polaris chassis, etc., turbos, supers, new front end geometry, better skids, better boards, and so on ..... it's not rocket science!

Yam engineers must have spent 17 months scratching their ba!!s, 2 weeks on holidays and 2 weeks doing the mods! I'm not bashing the sled, not bashing AC ... just saying that if this is all they have to show after 18 months - given the scope of their R&D capabilities - then give up selling sleds and concentrate on producing the engines & drive trains - I'm fine with that. Total load of BS talking "industry first" and such ... its not a new chassis and its not a new motor! They did not post weight #'s! It's like a box of Cornflakes with NEW stamped on the box!

Sure this may be the ultimate sled ... time will tell ... I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and not bash .... just saying that Yamaha can and should have done the new chassis in house .... troll the sites ... all the mods are there to be incorporated ... even if they had to buy out some of the tech it would be YAMAHA. Oh and by the way, box / truss / arch structures have been the foundation of construction & engineering for just a bit longer than any of the OEM's have been in existence .... should be common knowledge.

CR blog states exhaust and electronics are Cat designs. Yamaha is supplying a naked long block, and the primary and secondary, that's it. Good bad or otherwise, the rest of the sled is Cat's baby. To think that Yam is suddenly going to hold magic power over Cat's assembly line and process is funny. I'm sure they have clauses in the supply agreement that define and govern the number of defects and such, but at the end of the day it's still Cat's factory to operate.

Anything I ever had to do with ISO standards for manufacturing was more to do with documenting the problems, but not much about fixing them.

"Anything I ever had to do with ISO standards for manufacturing was more to do with documenting the problems, but not much about fixing them"
And anyone who goes to HCS can see how well that has gone for the last couple of years. Sorry, if you want me to be your R&d TESTER, AT LEAST GIVE ME A FREE SLED TO BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF. I guarantee I,ll find the weak links for you, much sooner than bench testing will.

blueironranger said:
I'm still waiting for Yamaha to bring back the TSS using giant Fox Float 2's at the struts..... Could make for a great mountain sled and would REALLY lighten the front up. Another plus is the WHOLE width of the sled could be a giant "float plate" with no Arms/steering dragging through the powder.

Actually a purpose built mountain sled using an all new TSS would probably work quite well. Nothing to drag and so many fewer components for a lot of weight savings. Less chance of getting an A-arm hung-up on a rock as well.

Anyone from Yamaha Corporate reading this?

BlueByYou2000 said:
The TCL design is different on the Yamaha and also has a Yamaha jackstaff from what I have heard. Chain case to get better gears as well.

CR's blog stated jackshaft is new, but from a Cat supplier. ie: hopefully better than the one that has been breaking this year on the cats. Never heard anything on the gears and chain case, but obviously, those are Cat items as well.

I see CR just posted this
http://p.feedblitz.com/r.asp?l=74249876 ... &c=4561093

Yamaha Sled Talk
Drip drip drip
Mother Nature sure hit the switch here on Sunday. I went for a good rip on Saturday morning, realizing the weather forecast didn’t favor the trails surviving for long. Monday comes along, the lakes are slush, the trail is mush and I’m pining for a bike ride. What a difference a couple of days can make!
On the business side, I’m hearing some positive comments regarding the new sleds market impact. The demo rides in the US have been going along well. I spoke to one of the guys yesterday who mentioned the north eastern demo leg is now complete and the sleds are being put on display in various dealerships. The most interesting point to me was over the combined mileage of several thousand (over a thousand per unit) we didn’t have any belt failures, chain-case issues or any other major failures. The cold starting was sometimes ‘finicky’ but we knew that going in.I tried to answer and respond to a lot of the comments that have come in but there are a few that could use a dedicated post. I saw one comment several times both here and on the forums where it was taken from our dealer meeting that we have been working on the Vipers for a long time – not really. The reference was on the amount of time and work that went into the supply agreement with Arctic Cat. Each component (SRX 120, engine supply and SR Viper supply) required a separate contract. Each contract employed a team of lawyers and required several meetings and multiple reviews with revisions on top of revisions. The snowmobiles themselves fell victim to the process as certain touch points could not be executed until the contracts were finalized and in the end, it has been a scramble to bring the development forward as quickly as we have.
The questions of power and weight are out there and we really won’t know the accurate answers until production. The engine is identical to the Nytro long block but the EFI and electronics are controlled by an Arctic Cat developed ECU. The exhaust layout is also quite different being forward exiting. The Vipers use our YVXC clutches and 8DN 01 belt where the 7000 series Cats use Arctic’s pulleys and V-belt. There is definitely a different power character between the two siblings due to clutch calibration and certainly a big difference when compared to a Nytro. I can’t say much more to this as the sleds are still being tweaked and tested and will get nothing but better over the summer months.
Now I have to focus seriously over the next couple of weeks in preparation for a planned trip to our test center in northern Japan. The engineers have requested we bring our riding gear and the agenda is a wide open ball game at this point. Planes, trains and polite little automobiles… I’ll be hitting the P2A bike race jet-lagged
If you have a chance to squeeze in some more miles, go for it. It’ll all be over before you know it!
Cheers cr

yamajammer76 said:
blueironranger said:
I'm still waiting for Yamaha to bring back the TSS using giant Fox Float 2's at the struts..... Could make for a great mountain sled and would REALLY lighten the front up. Another plus is the WHOLE width of the sled could be a giant "float plate" with no Arms/steering dragging through the powder.

Actually a purpose built mountain sled using an all new TSS would probably work quite well. Nothing to drag and so many fewer components for a lot of weight savings. Less chance of getting an A-arm hung-up on a rock as well.

Anyone from Yamaha Corporate reading this?

Probably not, but Doo has an option.
http://www.ski-doo.com/showroom/tundra/xtreme/details

The sami people's sled of choice around here :p

Back