• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

K&N filters, what happens with air box???

1000 stroker

Extreme
Website
www.jasonbakker.com
I might have run across an awesome airfilter set up for the apex. My question is this, when doing the K&N's do you eliminate the bottom of the airbox all together or just modify it for more air. I wouldn't imagine that adding the filters in the stock box would add anything. Once I figure this part out, I will elaborate on what I am doing and add pics. Should be a nice and inexpensive alternative to K&N's which could work even better for less than $50. The bottom really can't be removed because the lid would not fit back on.
Anyone who has info please share. I might be on to something here!

You need to be careful when modifying the air box. Although the Apex/Attak is rich on top it also has lean areas in the midrange. Opening the air box without the ability to adjust the EFI mapping may give you poor performance at some throttle positions. When the Power Commander III is available and good maps have been created for the increased air flow then I will be making changes to my air box.

Hey 1000 stroker. I have a set of k&n's I'll sell you. Took them off my 06. In order to run them you need to secure the top lid to your hood. It's easy!

I have a Hauck fuel accelerator so I can adjust for the added air flow. Can you give me an idea of how you mounted the airbox lid to the hood. It sounds like a piece of cake. How did you fasten it?
Here's a quick snap shot of what I am doing:
I bought some UNI filters that were on the shelf at my dealer that looked like they would fit in to the snorkel coming off the carbs. Sure enough. They fit perfect! they fit inside the snorkel snuggly and with a clamp should be plenty secure. They are a dual stage filter so should be adequate for keeping snow out. The filters are for a Banshee quad! I will take pics when I have it done! I had to order two more because they only had 2. I bought the first two as a trial to see it they would work. So far it looks perfect.
I'll keep you posted.

Here are a few pics of this mod half done. They fit absolutely perfect in there and allow you to retain the airbox. You can open it up as much or as little as you choose. this might take a couple of tries in posting the pics but I'll get it. Its been a while since I put pics on here.
APEX002.jpg

air filter's

I'm sorry but I have to say this, Sir why would you do this mod to your apex ?? And how many of you guy's that do these mod's wish you would have left them stock?

1000 stroker said:

what do you think your gains have been since opening up the air box like, that compared to the ulmer air mod and the fix powers sports ram air, they both have claimed 3-4 h.p. and if you add the cr10ek plugs there another 2-3 h.p. so a total of 5-7 h.p., are you getting bigger gains than that?

Have not been on a dyno so I don't know. I did not want the fix powersports kit because I dont want a hole in the top which is more exposed to the elements. And, I personally do not care for the looks of it. Clutch kit, Allen knows what he is doing, but for me, the stock feels good and runs right where it needs to. I rode with another Apex with Exhaust and clutch kit and mine with only an airbox mod and controller was everbit as fast. Oh yeah, and I outweigh the other guy by 50lbs.
I also don't like the quack sound that cutting the airbox lid makes. by keeping the cover in place with no holes baffles the noise. It is a lot louder than stock. No question, but just enough to get people asking questions. The original way I had the airbox was a lot more stealthy. Could not hear the airbox at all, just a little different exhaust note. It's not for everybody. I love to tinker and r&d things like this. Some times they work, others they don't. It seems this time I have a winner. Time will tell. If it works, take it as free advice. If you don't care for it for your application, spend $500 on a clutch kit and ram air, and whatever else you can bolt on, and scratch your head when guys that spent less money drive around you. Sounds like an arrogant statement but its true. I'm certainly not discounting clutch kits. Enough people run them and they are proven. Maybe ,mine would be even better if I added that. But all I know is with the stock set up and $40 worth of filters, my sled runs tied together with another RTX with over $1000 in add on's. The RTX owner said himself that the stuff he added obviously wasn't worth the money spent. Dollar for dollar, I think I am on to something here.
Yes, I have new plugs in mine. So if I am base 150 hp, add 3-4 for airbox and 2-3 for plugs, I gained 5-7hp. All this for under $100 and didn't have to touch the stock clutching. And oh yeah, all this on a whopping 87 octane. How cool is that?
Don't shoot me down. I am just offering what seems to be a really good tool for a very low cost. Take it or leave it. Hopefully it will benefit someone other than me. Thanks

Back