• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Latest News from North American Yamaha Snowmobile and Minocqua, WI R&D July 15, 2021

I just ran across the latest Yamaha news release from Snow Goer Magazine's website:

Thoughts and Comments?

I figured you just missed spoke.

The funny thing about this oil tank is, it WILL hold if done properly with good gasket "glue" by the CONSUMER.
The downfall is:
1. it needs to sit before oil added so no quick fixes
2. the good stuff is hard to get OFF when dissembled
3. it's just messy............icky on the fingers that you wipe on your jeans that then become your designated "painter pants"

P.S: NO gasket would hold up to the pressure when the oil line is blocked anyways so at least you fixed that

The funny thing about this oil tank is, it WILL hold if done properly with good gasket "glue" by the CONSUMER.
The downfall is:
3. it's just messy............icky on the fingers that you wipe on your jeans that then become your designated "painter pants"

P.S: NO gasket would hold up to the pressure when the oil line is blocked anyways so at least you fixed that
Unfortunately the dealer would not install the updated valve under warranty..still stock

The downfall is:

Steve, so what you're saying is the BOP oil tank gasket will not work if the ROV freezes up? I'm just trying to understand what's going on with this whole oil mess in the bottom of my sled last season. I do have a BOP oil tank gasket but never put it on but if it won't work under pressure what's the sense of using it. I have a 2020 Sidewinder 2up.

Travis from BOP proved that when the Roll-Over valve clogged, the pressure in the tank was over 50psi.
I'm not sure how his gasket held up, but 50psi will make anything leak.
Mine leaked 4 times, from dealers, until i ran the KNAPP ROV elimination hose. Then i used the Black stuff that glued the cover on making it hard to remove.
It didn't leak though!
Not to mention the tiny screws that hold the cover on so you can't "sock" it down tight SUCK.

It's a poor system period. There was an update by Yamaha to heat the ROV so it can't freeze, but the oil tank cover still has NO gasket.
It's fixable, but it goes back to why WE here had to re-engineer it.

Last edited:
So Joe the fix is this:

1. remove ROV from oil tank
2. plug ROV
3. run 5/8ths hose up & around to back under sled
4. seal tank with Permatex Ultra Black
5. let sit for 1 hour barely torqued at 5 lbs
6. re-torque to 10
7. let sit for 24 hours before adding oil
8. most replaced the Torx screws with hex heads so they could tighten more confidently & accurately

P.S: search KNAPP & ROCKERDAN on this topic
P.S2: the BOP gasket may actually work, i have no personal data on it

Last edited:
I also believe the heated ROV works as follows.
When first starting sled in the morning, turn the key to "on" ---this will start to heat the ROV. wait for @ 1 minute for the valve to thaw any frost then start sled.
I THINK I read this procedure here on this site.......

I was just reading the owners manual for the STX GT...there is no mention that I can see of leaving the ignition ON for 1 minute before starting...nor can I find any info on the ROV in the manual. All it really mentions is letting the engine idle for 3-4 minutes before trying to move the sled. Also, it says to remove the belt and let it come to room temp before using it on cold days.( who's doing that )
I certainly believe everyones comments on letting the ROV warm up before starting the engine and I will be doing that this winter but I just can't find that recommended procedure in the manual. I do know it's a sinking feeling to open the side panels and find engine oil sprayed all over. Thanks for the advise/ heads up everyone. Joe

Back