• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Leaking Oil From Turbo?

burg226

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Arctic Cat 9000RR
Finally got out for a decent ride this past weekend. At one of our stops (after a long lake run) I let the sled idle for about 30 seconds to cool the turbo before shutting it down. After I shut it off it started smoking quite a bit from the area under the turbo heat shield. Smelled like oil, not coolant. Once I got it home I tore into it and found what appears to be an oil leak from either the v-band, the top banjo bolt or the oil return line gasket at the bottom of the turbo.

Anyone else experience something like this? Where was it coming from? How did you fix it?

Looks like the oil level on the tank is also over full. Could this be contributing to the leak?

Sled is a 2017 with about 13,000km on it. Turbo Dynamics Max Spool 16 kit just installed this year. This is my 3rd season with the sled and I've never had an issue like this before.

Pics attached. Any help is most appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 134

First, make sure the bolts are snug. If they are then change the gasket next.

Finally got out for a decent ride this past weekend. At one of our stops (after a long lake run) I let the sled idle for about 30 seconds to cool the turbo before shutting it down. After I shut it off it started smoking quite a bit from the area under the turbo heat shield. Smelled like oil, not coolant. Once I got it home I tore into it and found what appears to be an oil leak from either the v-band, the top banjo bolt or the oil return line gasket at the bottom of the turbo.

Anyone else experience something like this? Where was it coming from? How did you fix it?

Looks like the oil level on the tank is also over full. Could this be contributing to the leak?

Sled is a 2017 with about 13,000km on it. Turbo Dynamics Max Spool 16 kit just installed this year. This is my 3rd season with the sled and I've never had an issue like this before.

Pics attached. Any help is most appreciated.
What’s the history on oil level? Did you just change oil? As a first step I would make sure your sled is not severely over filled. If so oil may not be draining away from turbo correctly.

looks damp above it... is it creaping up or coming from above. ive just found a f@#$%&% seeping leak from my manual timing chain tentioner.... seeping out threads. cant get at it unless you lift or pull engine

Over-filling the oil tank can lead to oil seeping out the seals on the turbo, due to high pressure. I'd say drain it and refer to the manual on how to properly read oil level. (Engine at operating temp, measure at a set amount of time after shutting the engine).

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I lowered the oil level tonight to just above "Low" and also retorqued all the hardware that attaches to the turbo (banjo bolts, v-clamp and oil return line).

Everything was pretty snug but I was able to get the oil return line and v-band tighter. Following that I cleaned the damp oil spots with brake clean and its ready for a test flight now!

I also have an oil return line gasket on order just in case (it was only like $5).

Fingers crossed!

I just changed that gasket on a customer sled. Leaking.

Back