• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Leftover '07 Apex ER or RTX?

Polar_Bus

Hey guys,
I am thinking about purchasing an '07 leftover Apex. Help me make up my mind. Will I be happy with a basic ER, or is the RTX better suspended? I do a 60/40 mix of casual 50 mph trail riding, but also will want the capability to thrash through rougher New England garbage trails if need be.... Would like to hear your experiences on both...

I am thinking the RTX might be a slightly better choice.... I would rather have a slightly firmer ride on the smooth to mild bumps (RTX), than a NASTY tunnel slappin' ride through the really rough bumps (ER?).
BTW, I am a light rider (158 lbs)

I think with either one your going to be dealing with some suspension issues. I guess it comes down to how much rough trail you plan on doing. I haven't ridden a 07' and up RTX so I don't have first hand expireance with that skid but I can tell you that I have read enough to know that it's not going to be quite what you may think, i.e. it's going to take some mods to get it good for both. Now the Mono is not the greatest for bumps but I can tell you that a trip to Hygear or Pioneer Performance seems to help. The work Hygear did for me was definently worth it. It will now handle most of the nasty found on the trail without compromising much if any of the plush feel. Tough choice, what are the prices of each?

Got Apex RTX? said:
I think with either one your going to be dealing with some suspension issues. I guess it comes down to how much rough trail you plan on doing. I haven't ridden a 07' and up RTX so I don't have first hand expireance with that skid but I can tell you that I have read enough to know that it's not going to be quite what you may think, i.e. it's going to take some mods to get it good for both. Now the Mono is not the greatest for bumps but I can tell you that a trip to Hygear or Pioneer Performance seems to help. The work Hygear did for me was definently worth it. It will now handle most of the nasty found on the trail without compromising much if any of the plush feel. Tough choice, what are the prices of each?

I work for a Yamaha dealer in MA. I can get any sled for dealer cost minus any factory incentive rebates. As soon as Yamaha introduces their leftover promo's I'll get some final $$ #'s. My shop has an '07 Apex GT, and '07 Apex RTX, and an '07 Apex ER . I should be able to score a sled for cheap money, as I think some of the Yammi rebates are around $2K on leftover units..

Yamaha's "Rough Trail" claims regarding the Proactive RTX are pure 100% baloney. Research it well here before even thinking about it. The Mono can be easily fixed by getting it set up for you/your riding style. Not so with the RTX....

OK, so the '07 RTX has whacked out valving as I understand the feedback here. Sounds like after a $200ish revalve, the RTX is far better suspended.

Can the ER's shock be revalved as well if one doen not like the shock behavior?

Sorry for all my questions, my last sled was a 2002 Polaris with an M10 (I don't need to go into any details about how amazing an M10 suspension is BONE STOCK)

I am hoping I won't be too dissapointed by jumping ship to a Yama4banger...

I'm from the Poo camp. Went Yammi mostly because Poo doesn't have a decent flagship, and hasn't for quite a while. I love most of the Apex - but I ride hard (though not near as hard as some) and expect good suspension performance. Actually I demand it. With the RTX I feel I was sold a sled that doesn't come anywhere close to what Yammi says it is (maybe it works well on paper?). I owned the sled, and was left on my own to make it right. After most of a season and a couple thousand miles screwing with it trying every trick under the sun, I have something that's very effective, perfect for my purposes. Maybe you don't ride as hard or don't have the same expectations from your suspension, but this is some of the bigger stuff I ran into -

It's not just revalving, though that is pretty bad. I'm glad my name is not the one that signed off on that. There's also the design problem regarding ratcheting. You can get around that by restricting supension travel and running a VERY tight track (by Poo standards) - but that kinda cripples the "rough trail" capabilities of the suspension. So you install extroverts. That controls the ratcheting effectively and let's you use the entire suspension travel. Then you start breaking parts - but wait, there's an aftermarket kit to fix that too! More money, major money. IMHO not worth the trouble..... Even with that kit, that suspension will be nothing special. Never will be. That's why they don't use it in any of the newer designs. Other manufacturers suspensions are light years ahead of the Proactive any way you'd like to compare them.

From what I understand - the Mono can be made to work. For that reason, I would say it's the suspension to have. Just me...

Thanks ahicks for all your in-depth experience based feedback. Definately sounds like the RTX will be the wrong sled for my needs. I am hard on a sled, but not as hard as you. I will be leaning towards the ER, or maybe even the GT if the GT ends up not being a ton more money.. Thanks again all for the feedback !!

If you can get the GT for close to the ER price I would jump at that. The Olins rear and GYTR fronts will be worth it. I think the 07' Olins has much better valving. Go 07' GT, P.S. if your over 180 lbs. get a heavier spring, I can't remember the number but there's 2 or 3 to pick from. Go one heavier than you think. Then crank the rebound damp and you'll be at a good starting place.

Polar_Bus,

I bought an '07 Apex GT and absolutely hated the suspension until I spent the time to make some adjustments.

Now I am very happy and would recomend this sled to anyone. However I feel sorry for anyone who bought one and did not change the factory settings.

Welcome to the site! You will find the guys here are very knowledgable and helpful. Just add your location to your profile (site rules).

I bought a 2007 Apex ER in Feb '07, I am 52 years old, 6'7", and big, and most of my riding is on groomed trails, with the occasional blast over rough stuff. After a few rides, I got the stock shock and rear susp. adjusted right for me and I have actually been very pleased. It doesn't bottom at all, rides like a Caddy and seems to work pretty well for me. Like I said, I don't pound it like some might, and I enjoy the sled thoroughly. I've owned Yammis for 20 years, including Vmax's Exciters and even a XLV, this is the best one I have had to date. Wig

Wig,

Welcome to the site! Please add your location to your profile.

rxrider-
Rex has a handle on that sled, no doubt. I don't want to take anything away from that. I just want to mention that string is only a piece of the problems he (and others) have addressed regarding that Proactive skid.

I read through it again quickly, and didn't see anything regarding work done prior regarding the ratcheting issue on his sled, where he has installed the extro drivers and a fully clipped track. Not sure I saw anything regarding problems likely due to running a bunch of track tension (melting track) or his installation of oversize idlers either.....

Bottom line - still a very good idea to steer clear of that suspension given the choice -Al

ahicks -

I agree with you 100% on what you say on the performance of the RTX skid, I know cause I have a RTX sled and I'm an agressive rider. I have also owned a '05 RX-1 with a monoshock suspension, at least the mono that I had did not perform anywhere near the RTX, just my observation.

I had no problems with ratcheting last season on my '08 RTX.

Bottom line, my '03 RX-1 with a 136" ZX-2 performs better than the RTX and it hardly ever bottoms out hard and it still is fairly soft when riding slow over trail chatter and small bumps, I love that skid.

In your opinion, what would have to be done to the RTX to make it ride like should. Shock revalve or replacement, skid replacement?

Back