• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Libre Office instead of Microsoft Office

FrozenTows4

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 XF7000 Sold
2017 ZR6000RS
2018 ZR6000 El Tigre
YOUTUBE
FrozenTows1
I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with Microsoft. But that's a different topic..................
e168815.gif

Anyone have experience using Libre Office.
Seems to do the same thing, but without the theatrics, subscribe to this, register that, and update the other.

I want my new computer to be as clean as possible. Still shopping.
All that I want is to open & create word & excel files. Accounting is done in Quick Books.
I don't need, nor want, outlook, power point, publisher, access, and who knows what else microsoft keeps running in the background just in case.

Who's using Libre Office? All thoughts and comments are extremely coveted.

I have an Apple and use NeoOffice, but I used to use OpenOffice on my windows box. Did everything I needed from M$ Office perspective and was free. I am hard core Excel user at work and had no issues moving back and forth between the 2 applications.

Doing a little quick research, it appears that LibreOffice is updated more frequently than OpenOffice.

I don't think you can go wrong with either application suite.

I have used both OpenOffice (Windows machines) and LibreOffice (Linux machines) quite a bit, and both function equally well. Only real functional difference I have noticed is the way some of the macro stuff works and the formulas. It is all there, just not quite as intuitive as MSOffice. Only other gripe I have with OpenOffice is that whenever you try to say a document, it wants to save it in .ods format (which is the native format for OO) if your document is only going to be used with OO then no problem, but if you are sharing a doc with MSOffice users you have to make the conscious decision to save it in a MS format. And if you open a MS document with OO, it always wants to save it in .ods. Minor irritation, but it is there. Best part is that both are free and for day to day usage, once you get used to the look and feel of them, you won't even know the difference.

Back