• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Loose steering...

Mars

Pro
What does Yam do for this recall ?

I've red loctited everything, it's fine for 200 miles, then everything gets loose again, causing a VERY dangerous situation, specially with the new C&A skis, they bite hard at times...

Do they use new nyloc nuts or something?

I am not taking it to my dealer cause I don't ever want to walk into that place ever again...

Sidenote, with a 128X1.375 track, I can tow a seized Rev800HO pretty well through the fields. haha. My brother in law seized his sled on Sunday. 3rd time this season. Little Phizzer saved the day and brought her home...

:)

Mars said:
What does Yam do for this recall ? :)

They put new bushings in that make the steering even looser. That's my plan this summer (if I don't sell this thing), is to reengineer the steering part with something that's actually durable so these things will actually steer consistently and not feel so sloppy that it might fall apart at any second and crash you and kill ya. This is the worst part about this sled is the horrible steering.

Mars said:
I am not taking it to my dealer cause I don't ever want to walk into that place ever again...

That's an interesting quote, I know I feel that way...wonder how many other FX, for that matter Phazer owners feel that way. Everytime the problem has been blamed on anything but poor design/manufacturing. Most times with the finger pointed at me, funny how my other sled (non Yamaha/2 years older) rides the same conditions and has zero issues.

I wonder why Yamaha doesn't step up, communicate with us on the emerging issues and what they are working on. I can work with someone that communicates with me and doesn't play the blame game. For some reason they think this will be buried. I talked with Yamaha to the point of begging and what was offered was little more than a band aid...then my dealer is another discussion. I'll never step foot into his building, that's another good story... ;):D

A bit of topic but you said an interesting and disturbing thing
Mars said:
I am not taking it to my dealer cause I don't ever want to walk into that place ever again...:)

So then doesn't that = loss of sales and loss of warranty work and loss of reputation and.......???

Is anyone from Yamaha even listening and caring about your problems!

I have been waiting for 13 days now to hear from my dealer or from the Yamaha terrortity service manager on the loose steering / front end falling apart issue. My patience is all but gone.

I placed a call to the Yamaha customer service line on Feb 15th and was told it would take 3 or 4 days and I would be contacted. I called my dealer 7 days later on Feb 21st, and ... nothing.
I called the dealer again today ... they still did not hear from the Yamaha terrortity service manager. I called the Yamaha customer service line again today and was told I would hear back from them before the end of the day. :o| Yeah ... Right!

I have been very patient ... 3 or 4 days is now 13 and counting ... why is it that it's usually always the consumer that has to make call after call on these type of things?

Is someone avoiding this issue?

Are Yamaha working on a fix for it?

For christs sake ... someone (Yamaha) get on the ball and speak to me about this!

It is not a warranty item (so the dealer tells me), but I was expecting to get more than 3000 miles on the sled before having to replace the front end.

The quality of Yamaha has taken a downfall with the crap they have used as parts on the Phazer line.

BIG MISTAKE YAMAHA ... MAKE IT RIGHT ... DO IT SOON ... SHOW US YOU CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER!!!

Sorry for the rant ... I have been a good boy the past 10 days or so, but me nerves is gone on this issue.

Gotta go take my "whistle dixie" pills now!!!

Oh ... the woes of a guinnea pig!

OST said:
I have been waiting for 13 days now to hear from my dealer or from the Yamaha terrortity service manager on the loose steering / front end falling apart issue. My patience is all but gone.

I placed a call to the Yamaha customer service line on Feb 15th and was told it would take 3 or 4 days and I would be contacted. I called my dealer 7 days later on Feb 21st, and ... nothing.
I called the dealer again today ... they still did not hear from the Yamaha terrortity service manager. I called the Yamaha customer service line again today and was told I would hear back from them before the end of the day. :o| Yeah ... Right!

I have been very patient ... 3 or 4 days is now 13 and counting ... why is it that it's usually always the consumer that has to make call after call on these type of things?

Is someone avoiding this issue?

Are Yamaha working on a fix for it?

For christs sake ... someone (Yamaha) get on the ball and speak to me about this!

It is not a warranty item (so the dealer tells me), but I was expecting to get more than 3000 miles on the sled before having to replace the front end.

The quality of Yamaha has taken a downfall with the crap they have used as parts on the Phazer line.

BIG MISTAKE YAMAHA ... MAKE IT RIGHT ... DO IT SOON ... SHOW US YOU CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER!!!

Sorry for the rant ... I have been a good boy the past 10 days or so, but me nerves is gone on this issue.

Gotta go take my "whistle dixie" pills now!!!

Oh ... the woes of a guinnea pig!

No reason for you to be sorry, I feel your pain and have begged Yamaha to help me out. Sure they have covered 90% under warranty, but how about my time/fuel/trips cut short or not even taken due to doubt if it'll break down. Then what's next, the starters starting to show symtoms...what after that?

I am very...very disappointed in Yamaha. I went into this purchase expecting to be a long time customer, turn my sled over every two years. What I got and what I paid for are two totally different things, thus I will not be purchasing another Yamaha...unless they step up and make it right.

Next time it's all apart, I will use 2 nuts and interlock them, with red loctite....

This is kind of a big deal and I am surprised there aren't more posts about it. It's very dangerous...

Mines an 07 and it was fine all last year, but this year, after the 1000 mile mark, wow, it's going downhill.

Mars said:
This is kind of a big deal and I am surprised there aren't more posts about it. It's very dangerous...

Me too. Why aren't there more post's on this subject?

It is very dangerous. Getting scarey when approaching other sleds, especially on narrow trails.

As I previously stated in this and other posts, I would expect to have to replace front end parts if the sled was 4 or 5 years old, or even if I had a huge amount of miles on it, or even if I did a lot of ditchbanging (which I don't), but to have to do this with only 4000 miles (6400 km's) is not reasonable.

Previous Arctic Cat and Ski Doo owners ... please tell me ... have you had to replace the front a-arm bushings and ball joints/tie rod ends on your old sleds at this mileage? How about you guy's with older a-arm Yammies?

Is the red locktite not curing properly or somethin and which nuts or bolts are they cuz I want to check my sled now that it has 750 miles on her.

I will get good pics of everything on the weekend, and highlight the problem areas...

there a 4 nuts that loosen, and there is one other rather large (24mm ? I think) that doesn't tighten all the way and causes yet more slack. As if it needs a shim in there. I will take everything apart and use a differential side bearing shim in there, it should help...

I gave up on Yam, I'll fix it myself...

Still kind of shocked no one else is experiencing this...

my steering is shot, but im shot with yamaha and the dealer, if they dont give a dam why should i?

just run it and if it brakes and if i get hurt then ill just pin it on them, its been to the dealer to fix this issue 3 times and everytime they havent touched it or made the slightest effort.

as for the starter, mine jujst clicks, so i guess i will be taking that apart and fixing it myself, just like everything else.

i refuse to fix the steering though, if yamaha doesnt care then why should i, if they think it is "safe" then i guess we will find out.

OST said:
Previous Arctic Cat and Ski Doo owners ... please tell me ... have you had to replace the front a-arm bushings and ball joints/tie rod ends on your old sleds at this mileage? How about you guy's with older a-arm Yammies?

02 Polaris with 9000+ Km with nothing replaced on the steering/front end, suspension bearings/wheels/track, etc -and no it is not falling apart, I just have not had to replace anything.

I feel for ya, I get frustrated just reading this stuff and wonder what I have to look forward to.

Yamaha quality? Where did it go on these sleds??

Back