• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Making your own mod airbox

apexg88

Pro
Has anyone tried to fabricate your own mod airbox. the one fix powersports puts out just takes the top part of the airbox, cuts two triangles in it and puts a metal screen than a fabric over it.

Im thinking about doing this myself
Any advice?

:yam:

Be very careful with modifying your airbox yourself. If you do not know what you are doing you can easily loose power rather than gain anything but noise.

Welcome to TY! Please add your location to your profile.

Perhaps Mike Knapp can reply with his experience pertaining to airbox mods. He is very knowledgable and well respected on this site.

I seem to recall that he did extensive testing which resulted in him putting his airbox back to stock because of the inconsistant power gains and gas mileage losses caused by airbox mods.

rockerdan....search for him for airbox mod. What he did was cut the "ribs" on top of the box out with a dremel and put SLP filter paper over it!! Thats exactly what I did, love it and love the cool sound that came with it!! I ordered a Hauck Fuel Accelerator though, because along with my gutted exhaust its running too lean on low end and I experience hesitation at low end accleration now.

Try searching this site and reading up on this before you start cutting up your airbox. Are you doing this on an efi or carbs? You posted on the Attak General Talk but that doesn't always mean that's what your doing this on. If carbs check this post out,,,

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=66867

It's worth the reading, if your doing this on an efi, then you may need a fuel controller to adjust your efi.

Bought a mod kit off ebay similar to all the ones that are out. Awesome sound and no decreased power. I have two lids and tried them. I want to say I can feel it but in reality what maybe an extra 5hp if that. Hard to feel that. But if you look at it in concept. Extra air needs extra fuel and just like Yamaha Man the fuel accel is a must

I opened up the bottom/front of the airbox where the stock air comes into the box. All incoming air is still filtered by the foam. No buildup of snow inside. I also removed the black plastic piece in the nose of the sled that is held on by one screw. I don't ride in deep powder. If I did, I'd replace that black plastic panel to keep the snow out of the engine compartment. No hesitation, no loss of fuel mpg. My dad has a stock 2006 apex er to compare to.

Back