• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Max Spool 17 vs. Max Spool 20

Bigblue1

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder RTX-LE
Apex SE
Is there a big jump ( seat of the pants feel) between these two? I have the bundle and have never switched to 20. Plan on it it next weekend. Of course using 94 octane, plus octane boost to be safe etc. I will be hampered with original fuel pump but I'm ok with that. Everything else has been upgraded. BOV, Map, CAI, etc.

I recently tried and tested the following tunes. MS 17, MS17 lean, 19,20. I’m running stock header, 3 bar, bigger fuel pump, CAI, bigger intercooler on nose, stand alone AFR gauge. IMO 19, 20 tunes over spinturbo/overheat engines temps way too fast compared to 17 tunes. I really like MS17 lean. That ran the best and most consistent. I was running 100octane unleaded and some race fuel also. So over 100 for sure. They all ran the same AFR to the bar WFO. Yes 20 is wicked fast but heats things up way to fast. This was many runs on each h tune on a lake 1000feet runs. I think the 17 tunes are better on a stock header and just plain better with the stock turbo. I ran MS 17 lean AND ms19 on a 660 track with speed trap. They both ran same speed. I did not run 20.

Last edited:
I recently tried and tested the following tunes. MS 17, MS17 lean, 19,20. I’m running stock header, 3 bar, bigger fuel pump, CAI, bigger intercooler on nose, stand alone AFR gauge. IMO 19, 20 tunes over spinturbo/overheat engines temps way too fast compared to 17 tunes. I really like MS17 lean. That ran the best and most consistent. I was running 100octane unleaded and some race fuel also. So over 100 for sure. They all ran the same AFR to the bar WFO. Yes 20 is wicked fast but heats things up way to fast. This was many runs on each h tune on a lake 1000feet runs. I think the 17 tunes are better on a stock header and just plain better with the stock turbo. I ran MS 17 lean AND ms19 on a 660 track with speed trap. They both ran same speed. I did not run 20.
Very helpful.Thanks

They ran the same speed, but check your ET times. The big tunes get there faster and have less time to build speed. The fastest guy in a drag race to 1000ft, will not always post highest speed.

Last edited:
They ran the same speed, but check your ET times. The big tunes get there faster and have less time to build speed. The fastest guy in a drag race to 1000ft, will not always post highest speed.
For sure 20 gets up HARD early! Temps go sky high really fast on the race gas tunes. Guessing a bigger turbo and header would help a lot.

I was running bare ice so it was tough to hammer those race gas tunes and not overheat things. MS17 lean was very good for me and kept temps about normal. Heat is the killer oh HP but I’m pretty sure you know this on your long playful pulls!

I was running bare ice so it was tough to hammer those race gas tunes and not overheat things. MS17 lean was very good for me and kept temps about normal. Heat is the killer oh HP but I’m pretty sure you know this on your long playful pulls!
I've run 19 on the trail quite a bit and have never seen higher than normal temps....must just be the ice/no cooling thing.
Maybe it's just me, but 19 feels stronger than 20 on my butt Dyno.

I've run 19 on the trail quite a bit and have never seen higher than normal temps....must just be the ice/no cooling thing.
Maybe it's just me, but 19 feels stronger than 20 on my butt Dyno.
MS 19 is the lean version of MS20. Should have been called Lean 20.

Last edited:
I'm late to the party but what a party. I ran the TD Max spool 20 this weekend. All trail riding. Made sure octane was right and could run 60-80 1/4 throttle all day. Wow! I had a smile from ear to ear. jonlafon1 was right about running hot. Not the sled.....it maintained 173 degrees as always. But, when I would nail a long straight the hot foot came calling. I'll have to go for the SQ 3 inch as 2.5 just burns up. Nice strong pull though and very trail ride able as usual. Not for all the time but once in while lots of fun. I'll be late again but a header and closed loop is coming.

whos bigger intercooler ?

Back