• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Modular or MX-type Helmet?

MI_Sledder

I am relatively new to the sport, and have ridden 3 seasons with a BRP helmet. I can honestly say that I have never fogged-up the shield, but my ears and jaw ache after a few hours of riding, and I'm getting burned-out on all the clap-trap to take the thing on and off. I have tried a size larger, which was the worst of both worlds in that it was loose but still hurt my ears and jaw.

I have been curious about trying an MX helmet and goggles, but have been reluctant, thinking that there is no way it could be wind proof. But I see a lot of guys using MX hemets.

So what are the key points, regarding an MX helmet / goggle set-up that will be fog-free and frostbite free. I ride groomed trail in the UP of MI, anywhere from slow trail speeds to 80-ish when it's "reasonable and prudent."

Any (constructive) tips you might have are appreciated.

I tried one last year. I didnt like it. It was cold, - but man it was light. I may try another one this winter, a different model.

I got an HJC for both wife and i with elec shield. No issues what so ever, nice and warm.

She has a mondular and loves it. She gets slightly clausterphobic (sp) when not riding so when we stop to talk or BS with others she can pop it open and feel fin, no issues when she rides though.

I still use my 5yr old HJC CL-12 with a heated shield and love it, no fog easy on/off and very comfortable. My father has a MX helmet and goggles and swears by it but every time we stop he swears while trying to get it unfrozen from the ice build-up on his goat-tee.

Plus I don't trust the durability of a MX style helmet, my CL-12 is DOT approved and very strong. Those plastic 1lb MX helmets feel like they will crack along with your skull in a good crash.

I went from I modular to a MX style. Hardly ever use the mod anymore. Its like switching to HD TV. Much clearer, NO fog, no mask. The only place I ride is the U.P. and never been to cold with it.

I have never worn an MX helmet on a sled...only on a bike and I would not want to wear one. It is not all that warm plus the huge visor on it will grab wind when you get up to speed. I use a BRP Modular II and love it.

Best snowmobile helmet ever made BRP's BV2S...never fog, no heated sheild needed, hot as hell, the vision is huge, you can see a ton more and now I always need shades. oh yes the sheild is made out of lexan....

242_2.jpg

- BV2S fog-resistant mask system with unparalleled adjustment capabilities adapts to all faces
- Integrated backlight
- Dual lens visor featuring enhanced 180° peripheral vision
- Adjustable sunshield
- Front push-button release
- Detachable breathing mask
- Quick-release chin strap
- Washable interior
- D.O.T. approved
- flashlight not included 

stick with the bv2 helmet

I rode many years with a mx helmet and goggles, ended up switching to bv2 helmet and would never go back. I also suffer the jaw ache and sore cheeks but it beats frost bite.
riding with goggles was very nice awesome sight plus nice to get fresh air and breath, but seating the goggles perfectly ever time became a hassle. If for some reason you leave after getting a burger and gun it down the trail with out making sure the goggles are seated instant frost bite!
I mainly ride tug hill region so it does get cold.
Save the $$ on the experiment and stick with the modular.

Goggles might be OK in warmer areas, but Not in my -25F temps. I tried it, and came home for my modular, because I was frozen and couldn't take it.
My modular keeps me warm in super cold temps, and I ran no windshield on my Rev.

MX helmet

I wear my MX helmet with goggles and have to say that I love the weight and the fact of no fogging. With the right nose piece and a good set of goggles you will not have a problem with the cold. And for the comment about wearing one while doing any speed you will get cold. I will dispute that. It is just like all of your gear you wear. Buy what you like and fits how you ride.
;)!

Re: MX helmet

dox06 said:
. And for the comment about wearing one while doing any speed you will get cold. I will dispute that.
;)!

Love to know what you use cause I've tried and always freeze my head....up here we can ride at over 100mph for most of the day at temp below -30

MX

HJC with nose cone, and a set of Smith goggles. I wear a bacleva to cover my chin. I ride in the UP, yup we can go that quick there to. Not going to quote a temps, its Michigan weather, changes to quickly.

Re: MX

dox06 said:
HJC with nose cone, and a set of Smith goggles. I wear a bacleva to cover my chin. I ride in the UP, yup we can go that quick there to. Not going to quote a temps, its Michigan weather, changes to quickly.

so you still have exposed skin???

mx

No I am completely covered the bacleva covers my chin under the face piece and down around my neck. Tomorrow I will add a pic of my lid and gear.

I had the original Modular and loved it Tried 2 MX style helmets and have settled with one. Takes some time to get the right combination of goggles and balaclava but when you get it its amazing. Weight, sight, function and fashion lol

Re: MX helmet

dox06 said:
I wear my MX helmet with goggles and have to say that I love the weight and the fact of no fogging. With the right nose piece and a good set of goggles you will not have a problem with the cold. And for the comment about wearing one while doing any speed you will get cold. I will dispute that. It is just like all of your gear you wear. Buy what you like and fits how you ride.
;)!

I have been wearing my mx style with goggles for 2 seasons now and love it, Just like dox06 i wear a balaclava so i do not have any exposed skin. I think the old saying you pay for what you get. I don't fog with mine, my mx stlye helment i have the choice of removing the peak and adding a full shield, for the really cold days, but i never use it. My roomate bought a mx style helmet and bought the cheapest one and he olny wears it on the warm days because he gets cold. It has a wicked nose piece and i can ride on the -25 days with no problems. The only down fall as stated above is at high speeds, with the peak it will lift so i have to kinda keep my head tilted a bit to cut through the wind. I will be buying a new helmet soon and have been researching and ski-doo makes a mx style with an improved peak that will not lift at high speeds. I payed about 300 for mine 2 years ago and 100 for the googles, and my roomate paid 100 and it came with the goggles.

Back