• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mystery Turbo

muskrat

Pro
Does anyone have a Simon's CPR Turbo RX 1 that knows what model turbo it is? I don't have a tag on my turbo! It is a Simon CPR "trail" setup. So what is it? The seals went out and I have no idea WTF it is. Is it rebuildable?

Muskrat

This setup has the jet in the oil line (a 90 I think) to limit the oil flow. Could too much oil blow the seal?

Just going off memory here, but definetely not positive on this but 2554 came to mind when i first read your question. They are a ball bearing turbo, but not sure if they can replace seals or if you have to get a new turbo. I smoked one on my Apex and ended up having to buy a new one. It smoked because the restrictor in the oil line was to small and plugged up. To much oil could cause problems and you would know it almost immediatly because you would see lots of smoke coming out the exhaust. I would call jeff to make sure before you change the restrictor (pilot).

Hi

Thanks for the post BlueByYou2000. Your handle is familiar, I think you helped me years ago when I first put the kit on with some suggestions. I think you are correct. Been researching this on Garrett site and that sounds about right. I don't have that many miles on mine but it was leaking a little since last year. When the seal went it really went. Lucky I didn't run out of oil and blow the engine.

Muskrat

It'll be a 2554 if its the older kit, I had one. You can actually buy Garrett rebuild kits pretty cheap on Ebay for the 2554.

Rx1M5

HUH

2554 does sound about right but Jeff says the center section's aren't rebuildable? Guess I better talk to him again, I'll keep calling him, he will eventually answer.

Muskrat

the turbo is a GT2554R like everyone has stated. Not sure where you can purchase kits for Geniune Garrett Ball Bearing Turbos but Garrett does not offer them not to mention not sure who knows someone with a VSR balancer that is used to balance a ball bearing turbo after it is rebuilt. Garrett does have a program on chra's or center sections on their ball bearing turbos at a reduced price pm me if you interested. I have tried to take many ball bearing turbo apart without luck I would not try to rebuild one even if someone gave me cheap china rebuild kit. Or you could go to a GT2854R it would bolt in it's place without mods. The GT2854R has a little bigger turbine wheel that would reduced exhaust back pressure a little.

its a 2554 that came with the first kits ,I upgraded to a 2560 and I am still using a 70 pilot jet ,had no problems what so ever with the 70 jet.The 2560 is good for 22 psi

I have a lightly used spare center section for your turbo. Can't imagine that I'll ever use it again.

PM me if you're interested.

Back