• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Apex owner...lets talk exhaust sound (drone).

Dootoblue

Veteran
I put my 1st 20 miles on 2012 Apex today......when "cruising" through the woods (20-40mph maybe), I have an aggrevating exhaust note that kinda bugs me. Amyone know what I'm talking about? Guessing its a "get usewd to it" type of thing, or "wear earplugs".

Once "on the gas" on the straights, it goes away.

Is my Apex like everyone elses? is there a fix (outside of ear plugs or selling sled)?

I like the sled, just working out the bugs (my bugs).

yes, all the new apex's have that sound. Old ones didn't, you will get used to it, or try the ear plugs, or squeeze the throttle a little more. It is hard to go that slow on a Apex! All kidding aside, you are going to love the sled, they are bullet-proof

Old ones do it too..been trying to solve it on my buddies 2006 since new. Exhaust drone I think

I will be riding with my 13yo on her Doo ACE, so I will be doing more "cruising" then normal.

When I'm with "the boys", I'm sure I wont hear the the sound as much (wink).

Just wanted to make sure its normal.....Im finding all sleds have their pros and cons.

All the 4 cyls do it. It's combo of exhaust drone & track howl at those speeds.

I wear earplugs when riding my Apex, but not the Vector. Something about the exhaust pulses on that 4 cyl. Still hear the track howl on the Vec, but the exhaust note is much mellower.

Ya they all have that harmonic hum at a certain speed. It does get a little monotonous after awhile, especially when your ears start to ring,lol!! Mine has the Excell ehaust & that didn't change a thing! Oh well, if anything, they do sound soooo sweeeeet!!!!!

ranger1 said:
Ya they all have that harmonic hum at a certain speed. It does get a little monotonous after awhile, especially when your ears start to ring,lol!! Mine has the Excell ehaust & that didn't change a thing! Oh well, if anything, they do sound soooo sweeeeet!!!!!

Having driven and drag raced inline 6 cylinders with weber carbs for most of my younger years, the drone we all refer to, is to me the indivdual runner hum I got so used to. Theres nothing like it and its unmistakable when you have heard it on other IR equipped engines. Thats what you have to put up with for the inherent advantages they give you, IE: excellent driveabillity and torque at the expense of a little top end HP. Its music to my ears and and equally as impressive to my seat of the pants dyno LOL

drone

I had the same issue on my '06 apex. Drove me crazy.. I had to wear ear plugs. Last winter I went out and bought a klim F4 helmet. For some reason with this helmet I don't get the drone....

f4

i have a f4 helmet and the reason you don't here the drone because they have a ton of wind noise
this tear i'm using ear plugs and it helps.

I have heard it on the old ones and newer ones also from what others tell me....Never have gone slow enough to ever notice it now that sweet exhaust note between 10000 rpms and up I just love that sound no other sled out there that sounds so sweet this is my opinion of course.

My 05 RX1 did the same but it was a very narrow range of rpms. Like said already just a little faster or slower in the rpm range and it goes away. As far as the exhaust note all other times, nothing sounds better!

Drone

I have the DRONE on my 08 LTX also. Its been driving me nuts. I seem to spend a lot of time at the speed where you hear it. I've been using ear plugs and have been planning on having some molded to my ear for a better fit. Thought I might even have them made blue if possible. I considered selling the sled at first also, but I do love the power. I have read about changing the exhaust or even just cutting some baffles on the stock mufler. I think it comes from the harmonic renisance from the engine rpm's and the sound from the exhaust. Keep the sled!

I put a set of supertrapp disc only kit on my 06 , but they made sled real quiet so I took them off still want to hear her scream. Got them thru summit racing.

Back