• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Hyfax Almost gone after only 1/2 mile!!!

race24x said:
I think fully clipped track is important for these slides. Slides on rubber is worse than slides on metal. My mono waisted a pair of slides in about 150 miles then when the slides where down the extra 1/4 inch there is more weight on the wheels then the wheels delaminate, then the slides wear faster. I am going to add a small wheel kit eright by the rear wheels and try the teflon slides my buddies have had really good luck. Both guys have over 1500 miles on and sliders look new. Those of us with cheap slides and just the factory wheels all had to replace the slides in under 250 miles
I have to chime in here. I need to disagree with the fully clipped is good theory. We went for a ride this morning with five sleds. two had brand new (just installed) graphite hyfax. The other three had at least 1000 plus miles on them. From Wakefield, MI to Hoop -n- Holler on Lake Gogebic is 20 miles. When we stopped for a snack, we checked the new sliders. GONE! (so bad that we went back for the trailer). The conditions were not great I know but the other sleds were not showing any excessive wear. The sleds with the major trouble were a '06 Attak with a fully open/ fully clipped ripsaw and a '11 apex XTX with a fully open / fully clipped ripsaw. The sleds with no trouble were a '01 venture with 144" open every other track, a '02 polaris edge 700 with 121" open every other and an '07 apex RTX 121" open every other. The clipped every third seems to be better here.
The '06 Attak never ate hyfax until the fully clipped track was put on!

I can only tell you from our experience on our 5 Apex's. Those not fully clipped added the buttons to the closed windows. and when my buddy lost all of his clips off his track his slides were gone in a day. All of us fully clipped open every window the only two thgat had trouble were the ones that had the cheap slides and mine went I think because my wheels went or the slides went and put more pressure on the wheels and they went either way the two seemed to be related. I am opting for the better slides and the low snow wheels (the little ones)

One of our guys has a '11 vector, fully clipped / all open. He ate lots of hyfax until he changed to the bigger wheels and added the helper to the very front. Now it is better but still not as good as my open every other / clipped every third. I can't say f it is the clips or the all open windows that is the problem but side by side in the same snow, less clips and closed windows is showing less wear in our group.

After reading all the replies I think it was a combination of a couple things. I replaced the hyfax over the summer with aftermarket ones. Maybe I should have stuck with yami parts. Then my first run this year I tried to cross a 1 mile lake forgetting the new hyfax. Had I remembered I would have sprayed them down with WD40 then warmed them and then packed them with snow. I'll try and replace with the new dupont hyfax.

subysti04 said:
Well it seems everyone is saying the same thing. I needed more snow. Now how can I tell how much damage I did to my track? There was a lot of black rubber goo and the slides are red.

Can you see damage to the rubber? Maybe the red Hyfax turned black when they melted.

I changed out the original sliders on my 11 128 Apex at 3500kms and after checking them over they were still at 3-4mm in the lowest wear spot. I've added 3 extra wheels per side. When the other Apex's in our group are melting sliders my track clips are still cool to the touch.

I had the same experience as Raypex's group- went from a Predator track with every third closed to a fully clipped and open IceRipper and the Hyfax started to disappear in less than 300km where I used to get more than a season. This year I swapped the Proaction skid for a Monoshock and added the Pioneer wheel kit and after 500km I don't see any wear yet.

Ok...I run a 162 yam and a 163 RMK. and my wifes attac..we run scratchers all the time...went out with 6 inches of powder and it was packed down on the trails when we went home...we ran the scratchers and one friend didnt..guess whos light came on....the sleds now a days run longer tracks ..so the sleds dont slide in conners like they use to,...this would shove snow into the track...that doesnt happen anymore....cause the sleds are better...so for me this is why we should run scratchers....2800 on my wifes rails are not even half...SCRATCHERS... ;)!
for me these are a must for trail ridding..

Maybe the scratchers are the way... I just heard that there have been instances of cracked rails on XTX's with oversize wheels. Maybe because of concentrated stress at wheel locations? Sounds pretty expensive!
Maybe we should leave our sleds parked and only ride if there is a foot or more of un-touched snow (like that would ever happed!) :o|

Back