• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Newbie on the loose!

sledskiing

Expert
Website
www.sledmods.com
Greetings, First what an awsome site. I can't believe i have never found this before.

After living most of my life in the big city I recently moved to CO last winter. Ever since then I've been going Toy crazy. I immeadiatly bought a 02 Mtn Max before I even got here. I just sold it and picked up a brand new 06 RS Vector Mtn. After reading all the great info on this site (half of which i don't even understand) I am feeling MOD crazy. So here is my question.

You have $3k to spend on MODS. What do you do?

I ride a lot at high altitudes (Vail Pass, Rabbit Ears). I do a lot of sledskiing so i will need room to attach skis. Toward the end of the season once I learned the sled I started into all the good stuff like mtn climbing and boondocking.

Tell me what I should be doing?

Thanks for any advice. I know I can do a search but I've read so much I am completly confused.

Ohh yeah my other Toys are:
06 Dodge Ram CTD
04 Lite-Craft Camper
03 Yamaha WR450
05 Gary Fisher Cake

Ski racks for sure. Also an aftermarket tunnel extension is nice if you don't have the SE. (the older RX1 style extensions are low in the back and you tend to get high centered on the bumper when trenching) Also a way to secure a pack to the back is nice if you are doubling up and both have packs on. A lefty throttle comes in handy, but get one you can unhook or lockout so an inexperienced shuttle person or passenger doesn't grab it accidentally.

I also like to have a shovel and probe on the sled so that they are handy if some one has to come look for me, or if you are making laps without a pack on.

I also have a windshield bag that is handy for carrying the GPS and camera in a convenient location.

If you want to drop some weight, an aftermarket seat, battery are good options.

Other than that I wouldn't put a lot of money into it unless you are going to add boost.

Attachments

• doohood.JPG
    doohood.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 98
Funny stuff with that tube there. Don't think restriction is the problem, just the ribbing you'll get from your buddies. If you want to accomplish the same thing get some little elbows for your exhaust pipes that will turn them 45' or so. Do a search on here and you should find something. You could turn them up and away and wouldn't have the dryer vent hanging out. Besides, you could then add a little rack on that tunnel for other stufff. good luck.

Rt

I've seen the gun rack system used with varying degrees of success. Make sure you have a bomb proof tie down system to hold the skis in. The little rubber straps won't cut it and its ugly when your skis come loose at 40.

ski-bum said:
I've seen the gun rack system used with varying degrees of success. Make sure you have a bomb proof tie down system to hold the skis in. The little rubber straps won't cut it and its ugly when your skis come loose at 40.

Yes that was a major concern of mine. In my Mountain Max I had A CFR rack and thought it was good but not great with a sled that doesn't have a fairly long tunnel.

ski-bum said:
Take your fun money and get an exhaust that dumps under the tunnel, and a light weight seat to match.

That is really what I want to do but I have mixed feeling on it. I have spoken to all the yamaha dealerships in my area and none of them could provide much advice in that area. A lot of them didn't have great things to say about the concept and Excell Motorsports didn't really like it that much either.

I just found this site a few days ago so I am still learning. My goal this year is to replace the exhaust and seat. The only exhaust that I found that might work well is Excell but that is ontop of the tunnel (which will still work better)

If anybody knows someone in CO that is experienced in this area please let me know.

Just remember there will be times when you will need to strap a pack or other extra gear (like a skidoo hood LOL) on the back of the tunnel, and stuff will melt back there if it gets too close to the exhaust. The Apex works pretty well with the tips pointed out if you are careful, but that wouldn't work with your rack.

sledskiing said:
ski-bum said:
Take your fun money and get an exhaust that dumps under the tunnel, and a light weight seat to match.

That is really what I want to do but I have mixed feeling on it. I have spoken to all the yamaha dealerships in my area and none of them could provide much advice in that area. A lot of them didn't have great things to say about the concept and Excell Motorsports didn't really like it that much either.

I just found this site a few days ago so I am still learning. My goal this year is to replace the exhaust and seat. The only exhaust that I found that might work well is Excell but that is ontop of the tunnel (which will still work better)

If anybody knows someone in CO that is experienced in this area please let me know.

Thats because if they can't sell it to ya they don't make any money so they don't like it. Excell obviously likes the idea since they just came out with their new muffler that is like $1k. There are a number of us with $80 glass pack mufflers available at any auto parts store or muffler shop that have them and love them. For $80 you could do the muffler, $200 to get an after market extension, and $500 for a Boss seat, $30 for fabrcraft rack and you have lost about 40 lbs, sit higher, sounds better for about $800!!!! Yes, I said 40lbs for $800 bucks!!!

Rt

Sledskiing if your in colorado your going to want to check out the silverthorn yamaha dealer(i forgot the name). But I'd definitly go with trxters ideas and then possibly switching out suspentions to a holtz with the rest of your money and you'd be set.

Back