• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

No start without throttle?!

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex GT
Hi all. Sorry if this has been asked before but I have been searching the forums for some time to find help with this issue and I cannot find any that help my situation. I recently picked up a 06 Apex GT for a good price, but I have an issue with starting. It will not start without at least ¼ throttle. Once started it runs and idles excellent. When I first got it it didnt run at all so I drained fuel tank, drained the lines, did oil change (oil was contaminated with fuel), and changed the plugs. It now runs, but like I said - only with throttle. I have also tested TPS and adjusted as well as bypassed TORS system, but nothing helps. I have gone through two sets of plugs in the process because the plugs foul very easily as you all know without it warming up. Even with a fresh set of plugs - same problem. If you hold key to keep starter engaged, it runs, but wont stay running without as soon as starter disengages. Any ideas of other things I can check?! Thanks alot!

does it have a fuel controller on it? air box clean?

does it have a fuel controller on it? air box clean?
Sled is bone stock, and airbox I have had open a couple of times, it appears to be clean an foam isnt clogged or whatnot. Throttle bodies are also fairly clean, had some residue at the throttle plate but was able to remove with a wipe of the finger.

miles on the sled?

might need a valve adjustment but that is not usually enough miles to need one. my 11 is over 18000 mi and have not done one yet to it. might be next year for it.

might need a valve adjustment but that is not usually enough miles to need one. my 11 is over 18000 mi and have not done one yet to it. might be next year for it.
I had that at the back of my mind but I wasn't sure what the indicators of needing a valve adjustment done was!

could also have a stuck/leaky injector that bleeds the pressure off when it is not running filling the intake with gas.

never had an 06 personally, but i have read on here about them doing funky things when the stator goes on them. 06-07 apex/attack sleds where some of the sleds with that issue. hopefully some other members that have had those sleds chime in.

Back