• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Not much action here. Winder/Cat 998's are close to perfected for the most part...

Mike, I'll be in Cochrane, Ontario from the 27th to the 4th. Load up your sled and come ride the best trails in Canada!

One of these years I'll ride in Canada for sure. Right now I'm caring for my wife who just had surgery this week, boy if that doesn't wear a guy out! Up every 3 hours at night dispensing meds and waiting on her hand and foot, also trying to keep on the housework. UffDA!

One of these years I'll ride in Canada for sure. Right now I'm caring for my wife who just had surgery this week, boy if that doesn't wear a guy out! Up every 3 hours at night dispensing meds and waiting on her hand and foot, also trying to keep on the housework. UffDA!
I feel for you... Hopefully she has a speedy recovery!

I agree on why it is so quiet. I run the 300 tune 100% of the time now and no issues. I just added closed loop and last trip I used the exact same fuel as our vipers for the first time. It was a family trip so very easy running, but I was still impressed. You can see it pulling fuel most of the time in the logs. I've gotten more interested in the data logging partially because there isn't anything else to concentrate on. :)

Really enjoying my sidewinder again this year.
Going to be off work this week and riding every day.
It just keeps snowing here in the UP.
Riding from home.
Concur on the snow! Just got back from a 11 day trip.. Unreal the difference in snow when you get within 10 miles of UP heading north.. Everything turns WHITE!

I have been working on a good trail set up that works for trail chop, g outs and cornering.
Lately we have been getting more big rollers on the trails with the traffic and the chop.
Plus the groomers have been having quite a few break downs.
So every ride we run into all types of trail conditions.

This is my go to set up that I like the best.
Sled is a 137 length coupled with qs3 shocks front and rear with hpg in the middle.

Up front I have hygear dual rate springs with the pro series cross overs. Front a arms sit level. Set compression on #2 or medium.

Center shock has the Cat 160/260 spring with 1.5 turns of preload on it. Also limiter strap is at factory setting.

Rear torsion springs on med with rear shock set on 3 for compression.
Also running the racewerx coupler set on 1.

I will vary rear shock from 2 to 3 depending on how big the moguls are.

Up front are a set of Mowhawk skis with 6" shaper bars on them.
Out back is a 1.5 storm 2ply with 196 1.86 studs.
In the middle is me set at about 230lbs dressed.

Having the heavy duty cross bar and tunnel reforcements for front rear skid mount makes it easy to run thru this trail junk without any worries.

Most of the time running 270ss tune and switching to 300ss tune depending on the crowd I am riding with.

With this setup the sled will take any trail junk with ease.

Last edited:
I have been working on a good trail set up that works for trail chop, g outs and cornering.
Lately we have been getting more big rollers on the trails with the traffic and the chop.

Sled is a 137 length coupled with qs3 shocks front and rear with hpg in the middle.

Up front I have hygear dual rate springs with the pro series cross overs. Front a arms sit level. Set compression on #2 or medium.

Center shock has the Cat 160/260 spring with 1.5 turns of preload on it. Also limiter strap is at factory setting.

Rear torsion springs on med with rear shock set on 1 for compression.

I will vary rear shock from 1 to 2 depending on how big the moguls are.

Having the heavy duty cross bar and tunnel reforcements for front rear skid mount makes it easy to run thru this trail junk without any worries.

Most of the time running 270ss tune and switching to 300ss tune depending on the crowd I am riding with.

What is the factory limiter setting? I can't remember...

You got the right ski ‘s and may just be the best available IMO…. Good Information on your set up…

You got the right ski ‘s and may just be the best available IMO…. Good Information on your set up…

The ski and runner combo works pretty good without needing much ski pressure.
I find this set up to balanced pretty good. It makes a big difference in how much preload that is put on the center spring. Each person may be a turn or two different for the right balance.

Concur on the snow! Just got back from a 11 day trip.. Unreal the difference in snow when you get within 10 miles of UP heading north.. Everything turns WHITE!
Pretty similar situation in MN too. Once you get about 2/3 of the way north, the snow depth really goes up. Been snowing 4-5 days per week up in arrowhead area (north of Duluth). VERY cold too (-20 to -25F) most nights. Snow will be be around for a while. Good to have a decent year for once.

As a total newbie to Yamaha who has benefited already from the lack of problems y'all are now having, I give big thanks to this forum. :) I've learned so much in the past month and a half.

You’re a good man Mike

1nc2000, do you have part numbers for the 160/260 Cat springs? What are the stock springs poundage rates?

Back