• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Offseason Mods for an XTX

Snowman871

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2024 Polaris Assault 850
So we've had a weak winter season here in Western WI again this year and the weather pattern seems to be trending on the warm side which means our season is likely over for local riding..... That said I'm already getting the itch thinking about my mods for next season. I'm posting this in the mountain section because I think this is where I'll get more relative feedback.

I bought my sled 09' Nytro XTX 4 years ago and it's been a stellar machine for me. I've put nearly 4,000 miles on it since I bought it, with roughly 75% being trail miles. After trying off trail and ditch riding with some buddies I'm finding that sparks my interest more than a groomed trail. However my Nytro isn't as fun to ride off trail, at least compared to a couple of the 2 stoke sleds I've swapped seat time with... In general my sled feels heavy and just isn't very easy to manipulate. My most interesting experience was when I swapped seat time with a Summit out in some field powder a couple years ago and tipped the thing right over trying to do a powder turn. I was so used to using all my weight to get my sled on its side when riding the Nytro and it required half the effort on the Summit... I've considered selling it and trying a 2 stoke again, like an Assault or a Summit, but I just can't bring myself to riding a ticking time bomb 800.

My goal isn't to make my sled outperform a true mountain sled, but I'd like to make it more fun to ride in the ditches and deeper snow (off trail and UP Michigan riding). I've already got a few mods to get me started in this direction: 1.75" back country track, Curve skis, OFT relocator, roll over valve, Ultra-Q silencer, and a skid plate. I'm thinking that the most bang for my buck will be a front end upgrade and a rear suspension upgrade.

1. Front end upgrade - I'll likely end up with a narrower stance a arm kit from one of the forum vendors, remove the sway bar, and upgrade to some Fox Evol shocks. I know I'll lose a little trail corner-to-corner capability but I'm ok with that.

2. Upgrade the rear suspension - to help reduce some weight and improve the track approach angle I've been reading up on the Arctic Cat Float Skid swap. It seems like this is a pretty reasonable way to go vs. an aftermarket suspension cost wise. I'm handy enough to do some fab work but wouldn't turn down a Timbersled setup (or similar) for the right price.

With that said, I've read through a lot of sled builds on the forum so I'm not totally green, but I'd love to hear some input from fellow TY members that have any advice on my direction. What have been your best/favorite off trail mods and what recommendations do you have?

Thanks,
Nate

I just came off one of those lightweight 800 2-stroke mountain sleds (Assault). It was fun to ride until all the bending & breaking took the fun right out of it. I had 3 seasons on a 2005 Vector. Had fun modifying the suspension to my liking. Never broke or bent it like the Assualt. So I went back to Yamaha. I'll be on a Nytro this time. Already have some mods in mind. The 2-stroke was kinda fun to ride, but not fun to own.
b4803ee5b481836f91457d3f2ee5af73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow thats wide!! 36" is the key to off trail my choice is the Barcode 365 kit. Truly fantastic. Anything is better than the XTX skid!

I'll be putting this in it...
18849ff3d2cd859b9228c7655280779f.jpg

I don't intend to steal the thread neither. I just picked up a new-to-me Nytro and thought I'd share some pics & info with others who are interested in modified Nytros. This sled is really trick as it sits. And I'm gonna add mods that I think will be interesting to others that enjoy modding . Didn't mean to step on any toes...

Bumping this up, what does the crowd have for rear suspension suggestions keeping the 144" length? I like the thoughts of something like the Timbersled Mountain Tamer for ease of installation and the couple/decouple adjustment option. Another option to save a little cash seems to be buying a 141" Viper/Cat skid to swap in. There's a fair amount of information out there on the 153" swap, does anybody have feedback on a 141" swap into an XTX?

Contact, We have a lot in common. I live on the other side of the big St. Croix and have a Nytro XTX and had a Expert-X in my Viper and loved it!
Where in W Wi do you live?

I live out in the country just south of 94 between Baldwin and Woodville. About a mile west off the snowmobile trail South of Woodville if you ride around here at all.

Always looking for more people to ride with locally, you should pm me your contact info.

Nate

Snowman how far have you gotten on any of your mods? The 36 front is great for off trail but might be ti narrow for a trail riding you do in WI. I believe they make a 39" kit now which would be the way I'd go (I'm running the Z-Broz 39 now). I also put a AC 153 float skid under my sled & really liked it but I'm converting it over to a 141 float set up now. The 153 was just over kill for WI & the UP riding, plus if I do make it out west I could always slap the 153 back under it. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask & good luck.

Not very far! We're doing a large addition onto our existing house so that has been my primary focus at home, and my wife is due with #2 this week. I did pick up a set of Fox Evol R shocks from MIViper and just got confirmation that my 41"+2 A Arm Kit is shipping out from Peter over at Mountaintech. I'm hoping I get some time over Thanksgiving to get things installed and get my preseason maintenance done.

Long term I still want to swap in a 141 Cat Float skid. I checked around at Haydays and didn't see anything worth my time. I had found one locally for $500 but I missed out on the deal... What will you be running for a 141 setup?

I'll be running the PC 2.25 (power claw) 0n the 141 & I had the PC 2.6 on my 153 & loved it. I think I'll need to change the gearing now thou.

Are you just swapping out rails on the skid or are you doing a whole new suspension?

Back