• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ohlin's shocks

sxmatt

Pro
I am looking for some more input on peoples EXPERIENCES with Ohlin's shocks. Are the preset from Ohlins in respect to valving and springs. Does this vary from model to model. I like the adjustabliity of the front comp adjustment and IF funds allow the electric rear. I ride all kinds of trails from nasty weekend trials with 1-2 foot moguls to flat trails in ontario and quebec. My biggest concern is how they will handle in the really rough trails since, I THINK, they are a generic setup for a particular model.

Both good and bad comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

I don't know about an '06 setup but here's my experience:

I weigh 230# w/gear and I have the rear clicker on my '04 RX-1.

It comes with a horribly STIFF spring, and very aggresive/STIFF valving. I borrowed a stock shock and put it on, and set the skid up correctly using some pointers from a friend, it rode 100% better than the Ohlins. Then I put the Ohlins back in - still way too stiff. I even called Ohlins to verify I had the right calibration and I did.

After that, I sent the shock to Pioneer Performance to get it softened-up and Bruce called me at home and told me all I needed was a diff. spring for $90.00 He commented that even 300# guys were complaining about the stiff factory setup and that the spring should do the trick. It was much better.

Pioneer sells the Ohlins shocks with that spring already for slightly more than what you'd pay for a factory setup. I will be sending him my shock this summer to be re-valved - maybe get a gold valve kit installed if possible, as I can't make use of the clicker - it's set to full soft and it's still pretty stiff. Although it's allot better, I have yet to experience the difference a $500.00 shock is supposed to make.

After reading all the posts and speculations about the final valving on the 06's I decided to call Ohlins myself. I just spoke with Roy in the Snowmobile department. He assured me that the EC won't give a harsh ride and can be adjust to be very soft or very hard. He also said it can be easily re-valved if you are not happy.

Hope this helps :Rockon:
-J

89 Scoot
97 Sx
00 Srx
02 Viper
05 Rx1
06 Apex GT

Here are my experiences with Ohlins. After the horrific experience of my Viper.....and it was a HORRIFIC riding sled.....when I picked up my '04 Warrior, I immediately replaced the front shocks with Ohlins. I left the rear skid shocks alone temporarily as I was willing to try and see what the adjustable dampening would be like on the stockers.

I rode it in this fashion the first year and 3,000 miles. The front shocks were incredibly awesome. I had a couple of riding buddies comment on how stable the front end looked to them as we were out riding lakes in Northwestern Ontario. As we would hit frozen slush tracks, the front end would just soak them up. The rear was perpetually a work in process. Plus I noticed that as the year wore on, the spring on the rear shock seemed to get weaker and weaker. I was forced to bump up the spring preload every 200 or 300 miles to maintain proper ride height.

So after the first year, I too placed a call to Bruce at Pioneer Performance. Plug here....he is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful! He suggested an Ohlins for the rear shock and said he picks springs to match a riders weight and riding style. He also suggested that I slighty alter the rear skids geometry by lowering it about 1/2 inch. I did as he suggested and ordered and installed the shock. The difference was quite noticeable. I still had difficulty dialing the skid exactly to my preference, but finally got it right.....near the end of the season, of course.

So, I am sold on Ohlin’s quality, as the front shocks now have 6,000 miles on them and still are as supple as day one. I have an Attak on order (can't wait until next year!!) and am seriously thinking of taking my front Ohlins off the Warrior and putting them on the Attak. I haven't been able to get a completely reliable answer yet as to whether that's a good idea or not. I'll be placing a call to Bruce fairly soon though!

Hope this helps!

I have the Ohlins on the front of my 05 RX and the 18 clicks of adjustment really does work. I heard the good comments about them, I tried them, I love them, And when I get my new Attak a new set are going on the front end immediately. (I think the gold/yellow color is going to look great with the blue A-arms)

I haven't been able to get a completely reliable answer yet as to whether that's a good idea or not. I'll be placing a call to Bruce fairly soon though!

Here is Bruce's reply:

Steve,
I don't have any of the specs yet to know if the Warrior shock will work on the Attack but because of the different front end geometry I don't believe they will. If you want to check back around August I should have more information to help be sure if this is the case or not.

Thank you,
Bruce Schrader - Pioneer Performance

Looks like I won't be selling those front end shocks quite yet.....

This is just an observation. But if the Ohlins shocks are that good why are they not on any major teams race sleds? I understand that each manufacturer has their shock companies they work with, ie ski doo with kyb, polaris with wakler evans, cat with fox and yami with ohlins, but what about major independent teams.

Matt

snowmonut,
They told us at the last update seminar that the Vector's front shocks (KYB) are a different overall length than the RX1s (Soqi). It also says that in the update book that I got. Since the Apex now has the Vector front end, I don't think your Ohlins will work. But measure your 'eye-to-eye' length on your's and then compare them to that of a `05 Vectors to be sure. They will probably bolt on but the front end will sit alot higher and the travel will be all wrong.
sxmatt,
the ohlins cost about twice as much as the others. Yamaha gets the 'employee' discount. LOL

Attachments

• Excerpt from seminar book.pdf
    37.4 KB · Views: 189
This is just an observation. But if the Ohlins shocks are that good why are they not on any major teams race sleds? I understand that each manufacturer has their shock companies they work with, ie ski doo with kyb, polaris with wakler evans, cat with fox and yami with ohlins, but what about major independent teams.

sxmatt-

In my mind, it's really a quality thing....one of the same reasons we all love Yamaha. :yam:

From my experiences and from what I've heard, FOX shocks are good for about 2,000 miles before NEEDING to be rebuilt. The Ohlins are good for around 10,000 miles....that's no lie. I wish I knew more about racing, both sleds and cars, but it's always been my understanding that Ohlin's has been a major player in car racing for years.

With all that being said, it's becoming clear to me that I'll soon have 3 Ohlins shocks for sale as I doubt that I'll be able to recoup enough money by selling them on my Warrior.

Snomonut,
Ask if shrader can add an internal spacer on the dampening rod to the ohlins so the overall length is the same as that used on the Attak. If it still has the same stroke, it's possible your current ohlins may be modified in this way to work.

Just a thought

Thanks WhadoIknow!

Evidently you know more than I do to come up with that suggestion! I'll ask Bruce about that later this summer.

snomonut said:
Here are my experiences with Ohlins. After the horrific experience of my Viper.....and it was a HORRIFIC riding sled.....when I picked up my '04 Warrior, I immediately replaced the front shocks with Ohlins. I left the rear skid shocks alone temporarily as I was willing to try and see what the adjustable dampening would be like on the stockers.

I rode it in this fashion the first year and 3,000 miles. The front shocks were incredibly awesome. I had a couple of riding buddies comment on how stable the front end looked to them as we were out riding lakes in Northwestern Ontario. As we would hit frozen slush tracks, the front end would just soak them up. The rear was perpetually a work in process. Plus I noticed that as the year wore on, the spring on the rear shock seemed to get weaker and weaker. I was forced to bump up the spring preload every 200 or 300 miles to maintain proper ride height.

So after the first year, I too placed a call to Bruce at Pioneer Performance. Plug here....he is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful! He suggested an Ohlins for the rear shock and said he picks springs to match a riders weight and riding style. He also suggested that I slighty alter the rear skids geometry by lowering it about 1/2 inch. I did as he suggested and ordered and installed the shock. The difference was quite noticeable. I still had difficulty dialing the skid exactly to my preference, but finally got it right.....near the end of the season, of course.

So, I am sold on Ohlin’s quality, as the front shocks now have 6,000 miles on them and still are as supple as day one. I have an Attak on order (can't wait until next year!!) and am seriously thinking of taking my front Ohlins off the Warrior and putting them on the Attak. I haven't been able to get a completely reliable answer yet as to whether that's a good idea or not. I'll be placing a call to Bruce fairly soon though!

Hope this helps!
Here is what my dealer did for me,kept my order on my gt and got a couple pf extra attacks,one for me and a complete shock swap from apex gt to attack,now attack gt lol

Back