• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Separator/roll over check valve

IndyAl

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 SRViper
Can someone explain the function of this oil separator container? I am getting a lot of oil in my air box and removed the separator to see if I could figure out if it is working properly. It appears there is a steel ball on the port that is attached to the hose to the oil reservoir vent and this ball rolls freely if you tip the container back and forth. Is this just a check that attempts to seal oil flow if the sled is on its side? Or is it supposed to be some sort of a pressure relieve with a spring? Why is it on the tank vent and not on the connection to the air box? I have read the posts about too much oil in the oil reservoir. I have always run my oil level to the top of the mark with the dipstick screwed in. I only started having a problem with oil in the air box the last 2 seasons. My sled is a 2018 Viper with about 5,000 km. This oil issue makes a hell of a mess and can't be expected to be normal??? This would be a very poor design on a Yamaha product that are usually leading edge! Thank You for any information you can provide.

Last edited:

Is the 18 viper same as the 16?
I just bought a 16 viper mtx and am doing a partial tear down to familiarize myself with sled along with some maintenance. I will take a look at the hose in ?? as I have my air box out and will be draining oil and removing tank and chain case cover. Cheers

You are running too much oil in the tank. The dip stick is marked wrong. I have a post on here somewhere with pictures. You want the oil level no more than 3/4 inch from the bottom end of the dip stick with it screwed in all the way after running the engine for a few minutes. Cats had a sight glass that was the level. It was way down on the side of the tank where the circle is in the casting.

With the level you are using, the scavenge pump is blowing the oil up the vent into the airbox. That so called separator is only a rollover valve. The separator is in the oil tank and you are flooding it with oil.

Back