• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OK to run only two rear idler wheels temporarily?

Thatspec

Extreme
Website
www.cascadeskilodge.org
OK to run only two rear idler wheels temporarily? ('03 RX-1 MT.)
While boondocking today I came back across my right side rear idler laying in the snow (sheared bearing off). Didn't even notice it was missing, could not feel any difference. Carefully made my way back to the the van (8 miles) on the two remaining wheels (left, and left of center). I took the left of center wheel, and put it on the outside left. Moved the other outside to the right. Now I have two outside wheels but.... will it be ok for a day or two (carve fewer donuts)?

Were expecting another 6-10" tonight, and I'll HAVE to go tomorrow. Probably will have to mail order the part, Can't even find a decent belt in stock anywhere in Portland Or. Might as well forget finding something like this.

Thanks, Mark

I've been running on 2, inside axle kit for about 600 miles with BOOST, no problems. You might check your track alignment.

i did the same thing (just the inner collar left on the shaft) and i just moved the center one to the outside till i can pick up another one.
I think the extra wheel in the back is just to keep the track from derailing in hard cornering

Thanks both for the replies,
Couldn't sleep so I got up early and moved both wheels to the inside (cut up the spacers, and used the ruined inner bearing collar as a shim). Looks like hell with just the axle sticking through and nothing on it but worked fine for 25 miles of boondocking. There was a new vibration I've never noticed but suspect it was the snow, heaviest cement I've ever ridden in. The vibration would go away on the packed so suspect it wasn't mechanical.

Not sure which way to go in the long run. If I did replace one (or all three) wheels, what would you replace them with?

Thanks, Mark

Back