• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Open trailer salt protection ideas

Ringold24

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 Yamaha Attak GT
Im currently having to tow my sleds using a floe 12’ with salt shields. It’s a little frustrating to pull the cover and other cloth protection off only to find salt build up on the sled. I’m wondering if there is a technique I should try. I’m thinking of wrapping the sleds using some painters plastic before putting the covers on. Any ideas??

i don't see why that wouldn't work, cant believe your getting salt threw your two covers. all i was thinking was i would put the soft cover on then the plastic then canvas cover just to keep the plastic from moving around and scratching some paint

I never really noticed it in the years past but now I have black carbon fiber vinyl wrap on the sled and it shows everything. Or it’s time for a new cover. Probably the latter

Time to start looking for an enclosed
This. I debated this issue all summer after getting back into sledding. I had a 10' Floe and spent good money this summer on the salt shield/ramps, only to ultimately change my mind and going ahead and buying a enclosed Triton.
Remembering back to the hassles of trying to put back on a salty/half frozen cover for the drive home ultimately sealed it for me.
Plus now I have extra summer storage space and some added security.

I had a open trailer with the aluminum drive off salt shields and had the same problem as you. I ended up screwing some plastic onto the aluminum adding an extra 19-23" to the salt shield to protect the sleds better. It still got road splash towards the back of the sleds but it kept the fronts nice and clean. Towed a little harder but worth it to protect the sleds.

I had a open trailer with the aluminum drive off salt shields and had the same problem as you. I ended up screwing some plastic onto the aluminum adding an extra 19-23" to the salt shield to protect the sleds better. It still got road splash towards the back of the sleds but it kept the fronts nice and clean. Towed a little harder but worth it to protect the sleds.

What kid of plastic did you use?

What kid of plastic did you use?
Probably sounds a little funky but I cut up a old garbage can (the ones with the wheels on it that are heavy duty) and used that. I did paint it to match the salt shield so it did not look toooo bad. My buddy also used some thiner plywood and painted it and that worked fine also. These were both tied to the main aluminum supports that run the whole length of the drive off salt shield.

Can relate w/ Carbide.
I had old homemade pop up camper ones, 2 open & it was a PITA for years.
After 1 freezing cold debacle with a cover I went hunting for a used clamshell, was great for a few years with not many hassles besides the top snow load.
Sold it this year for $2k & picked a 16' 6"used drive on / off, can haul my bikes too.... Done buying for awhile till I need more room
IMG_2399.JPG

Back