• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer carbide or Skegs tuner ski suggestions?

ATV PRO #11

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Phazer XTX
Looking at fixing my carbides and wondered what you fellow Phazer riders are running. Particularily with the newer tuner skis.
The main feedback i'm really looking for is for the stock tuner skis.
I've read quite abit here and there and there is TONS of guys with brand new machines with stock carbides falling off within 7-100miles. Would warrenty cover that?

Feedback from another section boils down to def staying away from stock
-which i can respect as mine are toast at 1000kms (how lond I dont really know, but they did not scratch my garage floor like my 07 did. Just slid on the 2 rounded metal bars if that makes sense.
-don't even know what size were on there there is no carbide left or grove that it even may have been sitting in.

Feedback from a friend indicated, as I love heavy steering, 6" inside and 4" outside Stockers. (may have been vise versa but those were the numbers)

Bergstrom
Snowtrackers
Woodies ect.

Thanks in advance guys, REally want to make this another TY informed purchase!!:rocks:

BS-Carbide-cost.gif Reading on Berstroms site and data on the net he/she sure bashed everyting out there.
Cost per length, snowtrackers were over 300% more cost in the long run. That's the #2 on my list........ Gawd I look forward to input here.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
Well that sucked.
Went to local Yami dealer in Winnipeg. They agreed stay away from stocks.
They have "Woodies" there but none in stock for "Tuner Ski's"
Approx 65-75 +tax per piece is $280 plus tax plus shipping. Thats #$%&*#$%&* crazy. I said that like over $300bucks, are you for real.
I've seen a post on here where guys buy skis AND carbides for LESS.
Asked the question, indicating reading online, theres 2 per package at that price. NO, only 1 per pack, I would need 4 as I have the newer tuner skis.
Starting to feel like updating my sled was a mistake. STock set gone in not even 1000kms. WT#$%&*
Once my wife heard the price per piece we were out of there.

Reading here and online I hear double downs, Shaper bars (by studboy I've read), woodies, and cobra.

According to the chart, Cobra and snowtracker are way out there for longevity due to less carbide and price per length of carbide. I'd have to say I'm out on those two and haven't seen any posts here (searched a pile of words) that use theym with tuners.

Double downs, studboys I've seen in a few posts and PM'd for info on what sizes/exactly what they ended up with.

Bergstrom site absolutely despises Yamaha's tuner ski, I'm highly doubting they even sell for the tuners. Bit to difficult to navigate the pages and pages of testimonials and "quotes".

So, that leaves me one or two. Cobra or studboys.
Never every would have thought this would be so expensive or difficult.:o|:o|:o|:o|:o|:o|:o|:o|

Rant off, just frustraiting!! :mad:

Man, I've got to check mine. I slide them in and out of the garage almost daily. I ride to work.

Man, I've got to check mine. I slide them in and out of the garage almost daily. I ride to work.
My 07 had aftermarkets on it. Totally unsure of which ones. Over 11000kms of rides and backed in the mancave after every ride. Still decent when I sold the sled. Still scratched the floor. (i know, concrete, I have plans to install piece of an old box liner on the floor for skis of the new one)
I'm going to have to go outside later and take a look at it now that I think of it.

Thanks to those I PM'd and got back to me!!

Ordered from royal yesterday at 10ish and received at my door today just after noon.
Choose to go with studboy shapers. 6".
2nd set coming later as 1was back ordered.

6" inside and 6"outside. (Currently used stock outsides thanks to srxtwins until other set comes.

Here's stock and new ones. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Here's the ones I changed for my old 07 yesterday. Obviously stutboys. Identical but I could be wrong. Changed as he hit something and broke one.
Keep in mind, be pretty much put on the exact same Kms in the exact same conditions. Including 71rdrnr for a one of those rides.
image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Over 10000kms on the 07 and I've never changed them or sharpend them.
I'm confident these shapers will hold up juuuuuuust fine!!!

This post leaves me with one question. Judging by the wear on the stock bars, would it be advisable to shim the skis?? Quite abit more wear on the back........

I don't know about shimming but wouldn't more pressure on the back be a good thing? I thought it helped with darting.

Post up the part numbers for Royal Distributing.

I don't know about shimming but wouldn't more pressure on the back be a good thing? I thought it helped with darting.

Post up the part numbers for Royal Distributing.
Good question. I'll have to read up on that some more. Maybe it was fixed with tuners. I did notice there was two carbide scraper bars on the back and one on the front. Maybe for that reason.

Part number: 08-994562 shaper bar studboy.

Back