• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer needle bearing steering upgrade

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Two 2010 Phazer GT's
I'm a newbie on this site and did a ton of reading already, LOT's of great info to be found! Thanks to all who contributed.
I purchased a couple 2010 Phazer GT models not too long ago and did my usual "disassemble every last thing and start over" to both sleds. Even though they both looked great I found countless things worn out or altered by previous owners. Nothing I didn't already expect, they're used sleds after all!
The steering system was horribly loose, far far worse than any clapped out Arctic Cat from the 90's that I've owned. I was going to go the route of the UP Bushman upgrade bushings but due to time constraints I ended up just designing and building my own unique "fix".
I decided to go with a needle bearing arrangement rather then a bushing. I had an extra steering bell crank from a parts sled I purchased and ended up using the steel tube and bearing out of it. Once I realized this could work I purchase thee more of these off ebay from a seller for super cheap. I removed the tube from the bell crank with a cut off disk, then cleaned it up and shortened it on a lathe. The steering idler arm got bored out with a step bit on the drill press. This worked out perfect and the tubes just pressed in without a whole lot of fuss. I then welded them up, cleaned up the insides a little with a Dremel tool and pressed in the needle bearings. The bearings are really nice since they incorporate an o-ring on one end to keep grease in and moisture out.
The sleeves that go through the bearings were cut down on the lathe about 0.5mm longer than the complete bearing assembly they were going through. Once greased and assembled the steering rack is super tight and no longer has ANY free play in any direction. It also moves very freely.
At the end of the day, this probably doesn't gain me anything in terms of driveability over the other bushing options out their, but I had fun doing it and it cost me less than $50 total to do both sleds. I also like the fact that the needle bearings offer very low friction and shouldn't really require much maintenance (fingers crossed).

20210120_093300.jpg
20210114_115218.jpg
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
20210114_130221.jpg
20210114_130240.jpg
20210120_135716.jpg

Last edited:

Nice. I put in the Yamaha bearing "fix" and it's a piece of $&#!

Tons of slop at that steering collector in all directions.

Good work. Make some kits and sell them LoL. Is UpBushman even making kits anymore?

Upbushman still makes them but didn't have any currently in stock. I would have gone that route but didn't want to wait a few weeks for new ones to be made... winters are too short as it is and I couldn't stand the massive slop my sleds had. So far the bearings have worked out great. Nice smooth steering action without all the factory slop, very happy with it!
My ski spindle bushings are next on the list. My old Cat's sure weren't perfect by any means but they also didn't have all these steering issues. Oh well, at least it's a relatively simple and low cost fix. Loving the 4-stroke life so far.

Nice, I have used those bearing from pro action bell cranks for lots of projects.
I just did my daughter's phazer. I was going to go this route but for 50bucks the Canadian yamaha kit is too easy.
Yes, weld it in

Back