• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

powder riders, give me some help please

copo427ss

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
figured i'd ask you mountain guys on this one. my apex rtx eats belts when i play offtrail in the powder/ carving. on trail its fine. whats happeneing is the cords start to unravel after playing in the powder. my buddy says its because im spinning the track high speed and not moving fast enough to cool the belt, so it gets hot and starts to separate. its done it to both the 8dn-00 and the 8dn-01. i am running a pioneer clutch kit. now on trails i can pound the crap out of it and no belt issues. any ideas? :dunno:

I'm sure top speed is more important to you than us mtn riders, but we typically gear down to help reduce belt temps in powder.

Wakegod said:
I'm sure top speed is more important to you than us mtn riders, but we typically gear down to help reduce belt temps in powder.

not really if i see 100 on the dreameter a couple times a ride im lucky. our trails are tight and rough. i just like playing around in the field since we have enough snow to do so. but im on my fourth belt already. ive never had a problem with any of my other sleds while carving ect.
how much do you gear down? i dont want to totally kill my fuel milage. i have stock rtx gearing as of now.

if your secondary has windage plates, you may try removing them and see if that helps

copo427ss said:
Wakegod said:

not really if i see 100 on the dreameter a couple times a ride im lucky. our trails are tight and rough. i just like playing around in the field since we have enough snow to do so. but im on my fourth belt already. ive never had a problem with any of my other sleds while carving ect.
how much do you gear down? i dont want to totally kill my fuel milage. i have stock rtx gearing as of now.

I have run the following, 20/40,19/42,18/42,18/43, 17/42 17/43,
17/43 kicks butt climbing but I stick with 18/43 for chain life. You might want to try 19/40 or 20/40 (stock mtn gearing)

thanks, 2xm3. ill look into that.

grapeape, no windage plates. now i havent checked my clutch heat while boon docking, but on the trail after riding hard both my clutches are only luke warm.
anybody put ventilation in their side covers and cover them with pre-filter?

i know theres companys that make side vents pith prefilters. i believe timbersled does. my old srx was the same way eat belt off trail.

copo427ss said:
thanks, 2xm3. ill look into that.

grapeape, no windage plates. now i havent checked my clutch heat while boon docking, but on the trail after riding hard both my clutches are only luke warm.
anybody put ventilation in their side covers and cover them with pre-filter?
Hey I was wondering do you like those CR10EK plugs.

With 20/40 stock mtn gearing and my supercharger I have seen well over 100mph on the dream meter.

Removing the windage plates are a good idea. I've never blown a belt with 200+ hp, so gearing closer to mtn gearing would be my first choice.

Hows your clutch alignment?

And I know Lincoln County Customs in Alpine, Wy has a vent kit like you describe.

my wifes attack did the same...

the wifes sled does the same thing when in powder..changed the chain and now its better..and the vents are worth nothing..well i think so...when i do alot of boondocking...not much in the way of hills to climb in quebec..the vents i have get so much snow on them..then the heat melts it just enough to turn it into a cover of ice..so there goes the vent..went 4200 ks on my 2007 162 apex..beffore i put a new belt..ok it blew up..lol...what a mess...and the heat for the belt has never been a problem..seems the gear was just too high in the wifes sled..the attack had a 136..went to a 144...but no luck till i changed the gear..

Your running clutching made for hard pack trails. They use a wimpy secondary spring that makes the driven shift out fast but does not grip the belt. When you go in powder your slipping the belt & creating a lot of heat. This destroys the belt quickly.
Your clutch set up is not meant for off-trail deep snow.

Back