• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Powderlites Nytro running lean, any suggestions?

09 nytro
Powderlites stage 2

Last season I was running around 12.5 to 1 A/F at 12 lbs at high elevation. Seems high for me, Im assuming optimum A/F to be around 11.7-11.9 to 1.

Took it out this week at low elevation and was running 13-13.1 to 1 at 10 lbs.
I installed the latest Powderlite's tune and I'm still running the same A/F.
Looks like my Vmin is 2.49 and my Vmax is 5.00 if I'm reading the RB3 software properly (numbers came from clicking load under management menu in RB3 software while sled was off and plugged into RB3)

Any idea how to get my A/F back in line.
Seems I'm spending more time working on this sled than riding it.
:(

appreciate any help offered

I would not be running the sled at 12.5 afr on pump gas very long and definitly not at 13.0 as this will cause detonation (if you already haven't hurt the motor a little). Do you have the capability to change load value's in the fuel table? If not you could bump your static fuel pressure up a pound at a time to see if this cures the problem. If there is no change after doing this either something is plumbed wrong going to your regulator or your fuel pump can't keep up with the demands.

Ironmanstl said:
09 nytro
Powderlites stage 2

Last season I was running around 12.5 to 1 A/F at 12 lbs at high elevation. Seems high for me, Im assuming optimum A/F to be around 11.7-11.9 to 1.

Took it out this week at low elevation and was running 13-13.1 to 1 at 10 lbs.
I installed the latest Powderlite's tune and I'm still running the same A/F.
Looks like my Vmin is 2.49 and my Vmax is 5.00 if I'm reading the RB3 software properly (numbers came from clicking load under management menu in RB3 software while sled was off and plugged into RB3)

Any idea how to get my A/F back in line.
Seems I'm spending more time working on this sled than riding it.
:(

appreciate any help offered
spent alot of time and money trying to make mine run properly as well.

I am assuming he is seeing these numbers at WOT, not idle. And it depends where your seeing the 12.5 AFR in the fuel table, boost (% on RB3) table and type of fuel being used (not to mention your timing curve). I am simply stating that if your at 13.0 Afr at WOT on pump gas you are asking for problems. Not to mention his voltage (if he's reading correctly) is completely wrong for a 12# map if he's using a three bar map.

Dave would set max voltages like that alot. At that max voltage he would be good for alot of boost. 5 volts is over 24 lbs of boost

Are you sure your rising rate regulator is working? Like you I installed a returning fuel system this year and after installing have the same problem. I just took my fuel reg apart and now the gain is back as the boost comes on (perhaps a sticky diaphram, not really sure) Worth a look though.. Last year my AFR was 12:2, and with the bad reg was 13:1 for comparison yesterday. Hopefully 12:2 is back in the am when I take it out.

FLYBYU said:
Dave would set max voltages like that alot. At that max voltage he would be good for alot of boost. 5 volts is over 24 lbs of boost

The problem with setting the voltage so high is you loose resolution in low boost map situation (I understand that PL is just sending generic tunes out but there can be a lot left on the table). At 10# of boost he is only getting to the 40% column which would be unacceptable for any sleds I tune. 5 volts would be 28#'s of boost. 4.33 is 21#'

Wildman said:
FLYBYU said:

The problem with setting the voltage so high is you loose resolution in low boost map situation (I understand that PL is just sending generic tunes out but there can be a lot left on the table). At 10# of boost he is only getting to the 40% column which would be unacceptable for any sleds I tune. 5 volts would be 28#'s of boost. 4.33 is 21#'

Trust me! Listen to wildman... Him and Howard Haack at H&H Performance have my Powderlites Stage III running spot on! They have hundred's of hours testing mine... True trail sled no light weight parts 780lbs with rider went 8.32 @ 156mph in the 1/4 mile on ashphalt with lot's left on the table... He know's what he's talking about...

Wildman said:
FLYBYU said:

Trust me! Listen to wildman... Him and Howard Haack at H&H Performance have my Powderlites Stage III running spot on! They have hundred's of hours testing mine... True trail sled no light weight parts 780lbs with rider went 8.32 @ 156mph in the 1/4 mile on ashphalt with lot's left on the table... He know's what he's talking about...

Wildman said:
FLYBYU said:

I agree with you. you should set max voltage for the max boost your going to run. Alot easier to tune. Why try to tune for 28 lbs. boost when your only running 14 lbs.

Thanks, B! Your sled looks good. Heading up there today to get started on the beast. Are you running at the Mach Z shootout? Ice or snow side?

Wildman said:
Thanks, B! Your sled looks good. Heading up there today to get started on the beast. Are you running at the Mach Z shootout? Ice or snow side?

I think I'm going?? Not 100% sure but I'd like too... Ice side. Yeah excited to see how it turns out!

Back