• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Prefered Driveshaft Bearing Viper/Sidewinder

Ceramic is very specialized. The main purpose for them is in electric motors, the ceramic balls act as an insulator to prevent arcing because the current sometime tries to jump to the shaft. As long as you keep the bearing greased and prevent it from spinning on the shaft it will last the life of your sled and then some.

Key is as SeX Viper says; keeping bearing greased and prevent shaft from spinning inside it. Even if you prevent shaft from spinning inside it, these track shaft bearings still need either re-greasing or replacing annually IMO. From inspecting bearings that were 1 season old, and shaft not spinning inside them, when I pulled the seal off, there was lots of moisture inside them. It must be a condensation issue because there is a good seal between the bearing and the tunnel (which has snow, melted snow, water, etc). How does the bearing get moisture/water inside it?! Anyway, I service it before every season and have no problems. Based on published load capability, these bearings can easily handle the load so if we can keep them well lubricated, and free of moisture, they will last a long time.

This is an old thread but I was searching for the driveshaft bearing #. I called motion industries as suggested on one of the posts. The KOYO version is $68 and the FAG is $99. The FAG is in stock. I didn't expect these to be that much...does that sound right?

I happen to work at Motion and yes that is the price for someone off the street. I am not sure what brand comes in it from the factory but Country Cat sells them for $25.91 cat part number 2602-198

I happen to work at Motion and yes that is the price for someone off the street. I am not sure what brand comes in it from the factory but Country Cat sells them for $25.91 cat part number 2602-198
From looking online the cat one is a peer. Not sure if it's a china bearing or not. All of my skid bearings for NSKs. BOP has a F A G one for $27 but I was hoping to find one locally.

Last edited:
From looking online the cat one is a peer. Not sure if it's a china bearing or not. All of my skid bearings for NSKs.
Peer is the import line of SKF so yes they are made in China but at an SKF owned factory. Peer is a very popular choice for OEM's because they are part of SKF which is a premium brand. I have never had an issue with their quality so if you want to save some money go with the cat bearing. NSK and SKF are considered equal quality and are usually the same price. Koyo is Japanese and considered tier 2 but that is what is in most cars and is also very good quality.

With all that said I don't think the cat bearing has ever been the issue it is just a poorly designed set up. I was talking with the guys from Thunder Products and they said they find the OEM grease to be way too stiff when cold so they just clean it out and put in some synthetic. He said they do not use driveshaft savers and have not had an issue. He also told me they run their tracks with no sag and I am sure that helps the issue as well.

I bought a KOYO bearing before last season for my 2022 (new zero miles)as I wanted a different bearing then OEM. I paid around 48 dollars. I put 1950 miles on last year. I split the brake and popped the seal and it was perfect inside. Good colored grease with very little if ANY water or dirt intrusion. I was very impressed with this. I find the better bearings have a much better seal on them then the oem.. Maybe even better grease. I vote for the KOYO. I don't have a link on where I bought it but pretty sure it was somewhere in MN.

THIS grease is really good for bearings. Especially the bearing we are speaking of.. Not to thick and good temp range.. Just don't put to much inside bearings.
-100F to 500F operating temp.

Can I assume something like this at $15 isn't good for this purpose or is some kind of knockoff?

IF you service this bearing every season with a good grease it probably wont matter what bearing you use. To some extent.. ALSO stop the bearing from spinning on the shaft of course, will help..
I cant reply to the bearing you linked.. rather or not its a fake or to its quality.. SeX viper could chime in and answer that for you maybe?

IF you service this bearing every season with a good grease it probably wont matter what bearing you use. To some extent.. ALSO stop the bearing from spinning on the shaft of course, will help..
I cant reply to the bearing you linked.. rather or not its a fake or to its quality.. SeX viper could chime in and answer that for you maybe?
Thanks. I haven't maintained it so far. 5K on an 18.

I replaced my stock Peer bearing with an NTN bearing with the orange seals last season. That is the type that was used in the Japan built true Yamahas and they seem to last good. The sled only had maybe 1000 miles on it but I wanted a better bearing on the driveshaft. I also have a couple SKF bearings if I run low on NTN. I will likely replace them every other season with will be around every 3000 miles.

I replaced my stock Peer bearing with an NTN bearing with the orange seals last season. That is the type that was used in the Japan built true Yamahas and they seem to last good. The sled only had maybe 1000 miles on it but I wanted a better bearing on the driveshaft. I also have a couple SKF bearings if I run low on NTN. I will likely replace them every other season with will be around every 3000 miles.
Something like this?

Back