• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Problem removing one hyfax - need advice

4strokeluvr111

Please stay between the markers!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Bought a new 05 Vector which I still have
24K miles
Helping out a friend. Changing his hyfax on a 2014 Apex XTX. He did melt the hyfax to the track recently. I saw that his hyfax were just about worn out and offered to install new ones.

I've used this method for years: remove bolts holding on hyfax, spray down both sides of the rails with silicone/penetrating spray, then use a chisel on the outside of the hyfax to get them to slide outside the window. Then put the sled in reverse and the hyfax will strip off.

The RS came off ok but I can't, no matter how much I spray and chisel, can't get the LS off. I've got it to move about 1.5", but that's it. I've thought about using a small cutoff wheel in my Dremel tool and cutting it off in chunks.

But before I start doing that, does anyone have any other tricks to get them off? Heating up the hyfax with a torch? ????

TIA for any advice you can offer!

Use a heat gun on the sides, get it warmed up. It will drive off with the chisel easier

The sweep on those rails is so steep the hy fax can really bind on there especially after being heated up
Ms

Use a heat gun on the sides, get it warmed up. It will drive off with the chisel easier

The sweep on those rails is so steep the hy fax can really bind on there especially after being heated up
Ms
Air chisel 1st....heat 2nd

What a PITA! Is it because he melted the hyfax to the rail one time? Heat didn't help but maybe I was too cautious. Air chiseled them out far enough that I could put the sled in reverse and then strip them off.

New ones from Yamaha ($50 ea.!!!) sled on EZ enough. I used liberal amounts of anti seize on both the rails and hyfax.

Thanks for the help guys!

the aftermarket ones just cost me $35.00 each that i needed for my 16 xtx. i only use penetrating oil to install slides as it washes off/dissolves over time.

Back