• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Racers unite

I plan to race mine in drags and maybe a few small hill climb events..... My nytro will still get the most racing thou

just seen where cory davidson is back on blue runnin the viper with lindbomb. that should help our chances.

dudester4 said:
just seen where cory davidson is back on blue runnin the viper with lindbomb. that should help our chances.
Davidson is one of the best ice racers ever. That is were the viper will shine anyway. He has not been a factor in a true XC race in years. There really isn't anyone much better at the soo. Although a lot of that is the assinine amount of resources that Polaris throws at that one race. Lindbom is the real deal. We will know a lot more in a month!

Maybe this is just me fantasizing but, in the open mod class Soo-500 can the viper run a turbo?

Posted on facebook

Attachments

• 1463461_665392190159568_1411169680_n.jpg
    1463461_665392190159568_1411169680_n.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 169
Now thats a race team - NICE

Oh if I was only 30 years younger - do they have a grey beard class? I can still whip those young snot noses with their doo's butts!

Yamadog said:
Now thats a race team - NICE

Oh if I was only 30 years younger - do they have a grey beard class? I can still whip those young snot noses with their doo's butts!
Actually the USXC does! 40+ and 50+ classes. You should give it a try. Serious fun!!!

Well that was my dream 10 yrs ago when I was building the rx's and apex's but $$ & time always got in the way. I am doing 400 to 500 mile days on public trails - always wanted to do the soo 500 or something.

I am putting a turbo on the viper that would eliminate it I believe from that but I do have the Rush dialed in but I want to do it on a Yamaha

Crap just read the rules and I guess I can ride an apex but not the rush it is limited to 600 cc water cooled. Oh well guess I will have to start my OWN SERIES!

Im thinking BDSR Big Dog Sled Racing

Rule #1 Must be 1049 CC or larger
#2 Must be Turbo or Supercharged
#3 Must have parachute Attached (to driver or sled)
#4 All mods welcome

Classes defined by 35 mile time trial. On trail 13 north of Pats Yamaha in Greenland to Twin Lakes on Friday.

All drivers must register next of Kin :jump:

About 6 yrs ago I almost had an investor setup to build a Playpen outside of Hurley, WI on 200 acres with a small lake.

I was going to use snow guns to get the season going early.

a 4 lane drag strip

Radar runs on the lake

a snow x track for timed laps and multi sled racing

and a 5 mile groomed road style course around the perimeter with timed runs.

Garages for vendors to sell skis, cluthing, pipes..... stop in and have one popped on for trial before buying.

Rental bays with tools so you can work on your sled as well as full time mechanic for those with problems they can't fix

the big 4 with demo sleds so you could do direct comparrisons

You could buy a 1 day pass or season ticket. Stop in and make a few passes to see how the mods do on the track

or prove to your buddies who's sled is the fastest

Weakly prizes for fastest ets in all classes

It was going to be open to 4 wheelers and dirt bikes in the summer.

It's really interesting to see that Davidson went back to a Yamaha. He's not had the best of luck with motors in the IQR over the years. He did well on the Apex back in '06 & '07. The rumor I heard years ago was he hated the Nytro so much that he purposely cheated to get caught and dropped from his Yamaha contract. I have no idea if that is true, just what I heard.

2lapsdown said:
Although a lot of that is the assinine amount of resources that Polaris throws at that one race.

I look at it differently, Polaris actually provides support to its racers. Anybody who races can buy one of the Soo kits for an IQR. If Yamaha ever expects to do anything in racing, they need to provide support. Cat does it best and that's why there are so many Cats in USXC.

This year Yamaha will have the best chance at winning the Soo since the Apex years.

Davidson is a serial course cutter. That was the only time the officials themselves could prove it. It was hilarious when he would start the XC races and then just pull his nytro over to his trailer and load it up. He said it was so unstable to ride fast and hard that it was unsafe. He HATED that sled. Going to be tough for Yamaha to do a whole lot when they are riding a sled that Arctic Cat designed and built. Yamaha can have no built in technological edge. Arctic Cat sucks at a lot of things, racing is not one of them....

I didn't know that was not the first time he'd cut a course. It's funny, I heard the same thing about his feelings towards the Nytro. He was smart and baled after the first year. I unfortunately stuck with it trying to make it work until '11. Even after I got thrown off and broke my arm in an XC race in '09 I still tried to get that stupid thing to handle.

I'll be curious to see how the Viper does this season. Cat may run the ZR7000's in the Iron Dog with some very fast teams and they are far more serious and better at racing than Yamaha has been. The new YamaCat may finally allow the Nytro motor to live up to its potential.

Back