• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rear springs 1900 vs. 2100, any input?

dirtmodified32

Veteran
the rear springs have two replacements available
8GL-47473-00-00, 8GL-47474-00-00 are listed at 1900 nnm/deg

8GL-47473-10-00, 8GL-47474-10-00 are listed at 2100 nnm/deg
(labeled 62 and 63 in the image below)
i assume the 1900's are stock and the 2100 are upgrades...
how much functional difference is that, and what changes would i see?

Attachments

• partimage.gif
    partimage.gif
    33.7 KB · Views: 70

This is about 15% difference in spring rate. Just guessing, I'd say this probably makes medium on the heavier spring about even to high on the stock spring. If you're a big guy this will help prevent bottoming the suspension and give you some upward adjustability.

It's a LOT cheaper to just buy the X-Click billet suspension blocks. Basically puts more tension on the rear torsion springs to give you more preload and better bottoming resistance, an easy bolt on replacement for the stockers. I have them on mine, adjusted to the third position (four positions available) and the rear is now stiffer than the stock Hard position using the stock plastic blocks. It's a no brainer if you ask me, $50 for the X-Clicks compared to $200 or more for the 2100's...

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
It's a LOT cheaper to just buy the X-Click billet suspension blocks. Basically puts more tension on the rear torsion springs to give you more preload and better bottoming resistance, an easy bolt on replacement for the stockers. I have them on mine, adjusted to the third position (four positions available) and the rear is now stiffer than the stock Hard position using the stock plastic blocks. It's a no brainer if you ask me, $50 for the X-Clicks compared to $200 or more for the 2100's...
Who sells X-Clicks?

port yamaha sells them now.......they don't add spring rate, they add preload which may help your fading stockers but may not solve your bottoming problem......

Springs should be set to achieve proper suspension height with the rider on board. Increasing preload simply raises the suspension, which is not advantageous. Heavier gauge springs are to carry heavier loads. Loads that the stock springs can't support without excessive sag.

Lots of guys think stiffer springs are sporty. The suspension is supposed to keep the track on the ground. An important part of that is the ability of the suspension to drop out. If you're riding high on too much preload you can kiss that goodbye. Keeping the track on the ground to maximize traction and control? Now THAT's sporty. Ask the guys on the podium.

Springs set height. Shocks control compression rate.

In the picture above, part number 82, looks like a replacement spring. What's the story on that? Is that for an RTX front skid shock? Will it fit? How much stiffer is it than the one on the shock?

I agree with stewartb, wish it was easy to find replacement springs for the shock. Anyone know of any?

gormleyflyer2002 said:
port yamaha sells them now.......they don't add spring rate, they add preload which may help your fading stockers but may not solve your bottoming problem......

Don't know what to tell ya'll except they solved my bottoming problem, and they were inexpensive.

He is trying to tell you that solving bottoming problems by adding preload is - in general - a questionable method. Preload does not increase the stiffness of the spring. Preload just adds...well, preload...to the still same rate spring. This means that preload adds the same amount of spring force in the top as well as the bottom part of the stroke, thereby increasing the height of the vehicle in the top as well as the bottom part of the stroke.
The conclusion is that if you manage to sort out a bottoming problem by adding preload, your ride height likely becomes too high. If not, it was too low before you added the preload...

can anyone confirm that a 2008 fx nytro base model has the 1900's stock and the 2100's are a replacement/ upgrade (the part description has 'AP' after it, i am guessing that means 'alternative part' or something like that)

dirtmodified32 said:
can anyone confirm that a 2008 fx nytro base model has the 1900's stock and the 2100's are a replacement/ upgrade (the part description has 'AP' after it, i am guessing that means 'alternative part' or something like that)

exactly......i have both in the garage. 1900 is standard on 08 RTX and FX

Back