• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Revalving Stk MTX Front Shocks?

Bodacious

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
I'm using my MTX as a crossover sled. I'd like to eliminate some major body roll. I have tightened up the front springs to max and pulled up the limiter straps 2-holes. It's better but still really dips when rocking from board to board. I know this is a good thing in the deep...but as I said I'm riding this sled as a crossover. My opinion is that it needs more compression dampening, and some rebound as well. Anyone experiment with revalving yet?????????? Floats may be a solution.........just looking at all options.

i'm curious, do you know the stock spring rate...?

for sure a little slow speed damping will help, i have ran from 110 lb to 160 lb springs. Body roll dissapears around 140 on the 121 rtx.

FWIW ... if your riding a MTX on trails etc. Stock MTX ski spring is 1.7kg....stock shorty Nytro is 2.5kg. I understand your body roll now. Floats may work for steep and deep boys but not for you IMO.
Valving will help, I'm thinking you need a little more spring though. Maybe in the middle with a little more slow speed.

mtx fronts are rebuildable, rears are not.

bodi, i was thinking the same thing, needs some compression dampning added for sure. i was going to leave the rebound alone for now. might need alittle faster rebound though. test test test. gormley has a point with the springs though.

this might be a better asked question on snowest. ski

The 09's are getting new springs up front, same shocks and same front suspension. Just don't know how much stiffer the springs are going to be but I will try and find out.

Bodacious,

I would also use mine more as a crossover sled.

Other than tightening the front springs and raising the limiter strap 2 holes have you made any other changes from stock?

My dealer raised my limiter strap two holes to help with hyfax wear and I have left the springs set soft.

I have been riding on a hard pack since the adjustment and have been very unhappy with the sleds handling. All weekend, I was thinking on how best to adjust the body roll.

Love this sled in the powder, but I need it to handle in hard pack conditions as well.

I have never needed to tune a sleds suspension before to any great degree, but I think I will have to with the MTX.

UPDATE!!

Okay just got off the phone with the Yamaha engineer and this is what he told me is different on the 09 MTX front suspension.
Revalved shocks (same shock as 08 with slightly different valving) with different rate springs. The current spring is a dual rate spring and the problem is it collapses to the second rate ok but doesn't have enough spring to push it back up. For 09 they are going to a single rate spring (it is a 32 neuton millimeter spring). He said to convert that to a US rate spring and measure the old spring for OD, length, and thickness of wire and that should get you almost dead nuts on to what we will see on the 09. I am sure someone on here has the knowledge in this department. He said it shouldn't be a problem finding a vendor to get this spring. Yamaha won't have this shock and spring setup available till fall. No change to front suspension geometry like the rest of the Nytro line up is getting. ;)! Forgot to add beefing up front sub frame!

I really don't know other than they felt it was more of a trail sled issue and not a mtn sled issue???? Guess they haven't rode the MTX on the trails at all!!

I spoke with Bruce Schrader today about my delima, I'm going to ship him my OEM front shocks, he is going to increase the dampening and rebound valving, and set me up with a set of 2.3kg springs. He thinks that the 2.5kg's may be a bit too heavy for the narrower front end, as the narrower stance has less leverage compared to the Nytro shortie's stance. I'll probably be the guinie pig on this one....but it's a start!

Has anyone who has a MTX taken the front shocks off and removed the springs? What I need is the OD of the spring, length of spring and and thickness of the wire!!
Thanks ;)!

Back