• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS Rage known/regular things to look at.

shakyjake

Looking for some insight on the Rage. Was possibly going to pick one up from a guy, but I am in unfamiliar territory. I do not know much about the carb 973 motor and drivetrain. What are some of the known things that typically go bad on them or some things I should look for under the hood. Im used to older Viper and Srx stuff, and owned an Apex at one time as well, but never the Vector/Rage stuff. Or maybe Im better off heading back to Apex land, but Im not really looking to go back to the rocket necessarily. Thanks in advance!

The timing chain idler needs to be watched... Lots of info on here, it isn't too bad to replace but does take a couple hours. Like every carb'ed yamaha, you can't have the carbs too clean! My nytro (same engine) managed to plug up its idle jet while out on a ride this year, have never had that happen on a sled before!

Also, the oil tank can develop leaks over time. I decided to be pro-active and drilled out the mounting holes and was going to mount it on rubber grommets. Apparently the torque from drilling it was enough to crack it, which wasn't visible until there was hot oil in it... (There are some REALLY nice welded aluminum tanks on ebay now, a little expensive but a nice product.)

The basic chassis is essentially the same as the Apex, it just has a carb'd 3 cylinder under the hood. The 136" Proaction skid was, IMO, the best version produced, and works fairly well. Search around a little, you will find plenty of info on the various issues the Delta box chassis sleds have.

Back