• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS VK no ignition?

Sunvang

Extreme
Country
Norway
Snowmobile
2018 Arctic Cat Hardcore EVO
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder BTX LE
Hi. I have a 2014 RS Viking Professional and have some problems with it.

This is store outside.

Tried to start it this summer, ended up frying the starter motor and start relay stopped working. Only tought it was the relay at first, so tried a new relay after 3-4 weeks, but now the ignition wouldnt come one, but the relay clicked and was working. After 1-2 months i got a new starter and took it inside and replaced it, PITA job but got it done. Now the engine turns around, but still happens nothing when i turn the key, no ignition, light or dash.
Tried replacing the ignition switch, that did not help.
Found out that the ignition relay by the right footwell wasnt getting ground signal, so when i jump this wire and put it to the chassie, dash comes on.

Wire from ignition relay is good from the relay connector to the connnector to the ecu.

Any tips on what could be wrong? Could it be the regulator?

sounding like time to find all the ground blocks in the harness and make sure they are all good and clean. common issue on 4 stroke yamaha's.

Grounds can sure cause strang things to happen . So hunt down all of the grounds and clean them up . I use very fine emery cloth sandpaper to shine them up them reassemble and spray them with battery post sealer . Aluminum is a poor conductor to begin with and everything is mounted in rubber or plastic now a days . Engine to chassis ground is very important . I do this to all of my sleds when I get them .

Its not so much about whether Aluminum is a good conductor, it in fact is an okay conductor it was used as house wiring for a long time. Its the fact that it oxidizes and that oxide layer does not conduct electricity. Any gap between the metals will fill with oxidation, that process involves an expansion of the surface which could create more problems. The additional problem comes from galvanic corrosion where you have two factors, which are dissimilar metals in contact with each other and the fact that there is electrical conductivity between them. After you clean up the area and reconnect the grounds, seal them. Its very important to keep oxygen (and moisture) out of the connection. Don't be shy, if you are attaching grounds to the chassis, paint this area with some oxygen impermeable layer. The right paint to use is a PVDF like Fluropon although almost any oxygen barrier will be significantly better than nothing at all.

Yepper . Earthling you nailed it . That's why I use fine Emery cloth and seal them up . Oxidation is the killer of contact .

Back