• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 Heat Exchanger

Hotrodder

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RX-1 ER
Hey guys, I have a heat exchanger that the owner before me bounced of a rock and its curled way back. I've been beating on it for an hour and I can't get it to move. It's not that bad but just recently I threw a stud through it right where it's bent and since I'm in there now I might as well fix it right so It dosen't happen again. I don't want to pull the engine to take it out. Any Suggestions?

a pic might help.

heatexchanger1.jpg heatexchanger2.jpg

might need a jack to press it back into place slowly. i would see what your welder reccomends.

i do know a bellypan protector would have helped prevent that from happening.

No good used ones anywhere? That big dent and a hole in it. I'd be changing it.

I just pulled a good one out of a rx1 mountain that I parted and there are a lot of rivets holding them in.

Ken..........

There are a lot of rivets in there, we couldn't think of a way to rig something to push a jack off of so we just beat on it some more and riveted a piece of valley tin on the front of it to keep snow from packing up in the hole, since there' s a big gap behind the protector plate to change the oil and the front of the exchanger.

There are a lot of rivets in there, we couldn't think of a way to rig something to push a jack off of so we just beat on it some more and riveted a piece of valley tin on the front of it to keep snow from packing up in the hole, since there' s a big gap behind the protector plate to change the oil and the front of the exchanger.
When I change them I use a bottle jack to spread the tunnel enough to drop the exchanger out.

I wouldn't be running without a skid plate. Do you see those two posts on each side of the drain plug ? If you hit a rock and break one of those off all the oil runs out of the bottom and you blow the engine up.

Ken..........

Ok, I will defiantly look into buying a skid plate from somewhere, will it fit with the exchanger being a little out of wack? Idk how the aftermarket ones mount on

The factory unit (if you can still get one ) came with some expandable inserts and the installation tool so you bolted it on and were able to remove it for oil changes.

Ken....................

Back