• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

screw removal/lower side covers

cobalt650

Pro
In an attempt to change the oil, I found that 3 of screws with the Phillips slots are stuck that hold the black lowers plastic on :o| . An impact wrench just spun the slots out. Any thoughts?? Very frustrating!!!!!! :o| :o|

Screws

I had several of mine that wouldn't come off. I ruined the heads of them and they were still tight. I just pulled out the Dremel and made a flat slot on them and used a standard screwdriver. They are still on the sled and work way better now.

As stated above, use a #3 Philips screwdriver and give it a good pop before trying to turn it.

Lance

Seems that road salt, dirt and grime get in there and makes it hard to remove.

I ended up using a hammer and chisel to remove one of the screws on my machine. I just hit the chisel on the edge of the screw and it worked just fine.

As stated above, use a #3 Phillips screwdriver.

I have had to drill those out many times until a changed them to hex head cap screws. You may consider drilling off the heads (they are very soft and easy to drill), removing the panel, and grabbing the stems with vice-grips.

Screws

Try my method before drilling them out. You can still use them that way. If you can't get them out, then drill them out.

Lance

Hex nuts

I go them out with the Dremel, a bit of damage to the surroundng plastic, but it was just the bottom ones, nobody but the snow snakes will know. Where would you recommend getting the hex nuts?? If I am unable to locate those, I'll slot them and use oil/never seize as advised. Thanks for the help fellas :Rockon:

hex head replacement

anyone have what they use to replace those silly phillips screws that strip out? they are kind of weird with that shoulder on them. thanks

I use a number two driver not a three. Just put the tip on the grinder. Remove a mill or two from tip. give it a try, works well.

You can't go wrong with a Phillips #3 driver, perfect fit. If you strip the centre, use a side cutter plier, put one beek in the stripped hole and the other to the outer edge of the bolt, the metal is soft as we know, give a little squeeze and turn to loosen, very easy. Replace with new Yamaha bolts, as that collar can't be found on any regular bolts. Just order a few extra so you have them.

I use socket-head screws and added a washer and a tight-fitting plastic bushing to each one to act as the shoulder and the oversized head. Works great and when removed all of the pieces are held together by the bushing.

removed with a chisel and hammer, then threw them away. Went to the hardware store and bought allen head screws to replace them. Now they are easy to replace. Take one with you when you buy and be sure to get metric.

Back