• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shock Spring Rubbing On Shock - Mono Suspension

engineman

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Apex LTX, 2010 Vector LTX GT, 1996 Indy 500 SKS
Hey All,

I searched the forum and found some info but no real fix other than turning the spring on the shock to a different position.

History - I have an '09 Apex LTX and my wife has a '10 Vector LTX. Both have standard shocks (not Ohlins). I have installed big boy springs(with Yam numbers on them from Pioneer) on both to match our weights and had the shocks re-valved by Bruce at Pioneer before he left. Set sag to proper levels per manual and the sleds were much improved.

Took the skids out this spring to lube up wheels, pivots, etc and noticed the Mono spring had been rubbing on the shock body near the end where the rod comes out on BOTH machines. I am concerned it will eventually wear through the outer shock tube and then the shocks are junk. Machines have 11K and 10K miles respectively.

Any ideas on a permanent fix for this? Rotating the springs seems a little trial and error. When I get the machines out this fall I will take the shocks off and see if any of the spring seats are not parallel,etc and probably remove the springs to see if anything else is going on. Kinda confused at this point.

Thanks & Best regards,

Steve

I have the same issue on my vector, to bad there wasn’t a plastic sleeve a guy could put on the shock.

Back