• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shotgun Track? R S Track noise

Tabor Rider 973

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Venture
I saw an ad in SnowTech magazine fot a Shotgun track by Kimpex. It mentions less vibrations. I couldn't find any more info on Kimpex site. Wondered if it might be a type of quiet track technology.Has anyone had any luck researching ways to fix excessive track noise on RS models? Think SNOW!

I think cat has a quiet track on the 4-stroke turbo 660.. I'm not sure who makes it????? :ORC MM.

What track noise ? According to Yamaha there is no problem with the DEAFENING TRACK HOWL on the Vectors. It must just be our imagination.

i put an aftermarket exhaust on my sled-which is no louder than my buddies stock 2000 sxr 600 triple. i dont hear the track at all. i think its the lack of exhaust noise, thats y ur hearin the track-please dont jump all over me bout loud exhaust-been there done that

The track on my RS Venture TF is insanely noisy, and it's NOT because the lack of noise from the engine! The inner drive-knobs are hitting the limiter-straps, thereby the track is lifted on and of from the sliders! I was puzzled why my limiter-straps were starting to frey a little around the lower mounting. Put it on a stand and ran the track slowly... WTF, the track is hitting the straps! This is not a problem until you are halfway (or so) through your sliders, like mine is. The top of the drive-knobs is just touching the straps. NICE, YAMAHA. REALLY NICE!!!!!! Who did their R&D, I wonder... :ORC :shock: :ORC #$%&*
It became more obvious after I had it serviced by my dealer, and they tightened the track a little. WOW how noisy it got then! I had to slacken it of a little, and it got better, but when the sliders wear down, it will be worse and worse... :(

Brilliant reply Pimpedrsrage- We can all put on loud pipes and piss off our neighbors and get some trails closed so we don't hear the track howl. If you don't have any ideas how to actually FIX the howl problem please don't waste the space.

madmax-that track on the 660 a/c-is that a ripsaw, or a version like it? i've heard that too but im not sure. anybody ever switched out there tracks to see if its the track or if its the lack of noise due to exhaust being so quiet

also... i wonder if those with studded ripsaws are howling?? track tension does make some diff. i wonder if ice builup in the tunnel may affect it as well.

pimpedrsrage said:
madmax-that track on the 660 a/c-is that a ripsaw, or a version like it? i've heard that too but im not sure. anybody ever switched out there tracks to see if its the track or if its the lack of noise due to exhaust being so quiet

From what I've been told the 660 has a quieter exhaust than our vectors..... Hmmmmm.. Must be the track. ;)! MM.

Maybe not as bad.. The guys with the 05 rx-1 didn't seem to complain about it as much.. I think the plastic wheels on our skids may have something to do with it.. MM :ORC

well I have a M-10 in my rage and it is awful I was hoping to find it rubbing some were like one of the other guys did but every thing looks fine,angles seem fine and all my wheels are rubber!A friend of mine has a polaris with an M-10 extended to 136 with a regular 1.25 track and he did not have any vibration at all!

i know a dealer he did a decibel reading on a rs venture and a sxr 700 the rs venture did more decibel than the sxr so forget the low engine noise the rs series are a lot more noisy overall than a 2 strokes i hope that my venture 2006 will be more quite

howl

I posted last year about the incredible howl on the RS ventures - I drove my buddies 1995 Mach Z for a few miles and he did the same with my RS venture.

We were both blow away. At cruise on the Mach - I could hear wind, and ski's cutting the snow, and a little engine. Quite peaceful actually. He couldn't believe how freakin loud my track is.

I now wear ear plugs so I can keep sane on the trail.

Yamaha sells these things for 8K+ and no one ever noticed that it howls like a banshee? (no offense to any banshees) I plan to bring this up to my dealer again so they can pass it along to Yamaha. I really hope that there is a fix - headaches while your trying to enjoy sledding is self defeating!

I'm not sure but I think its the angle on the front part of the rails...at a certain angle the track starts to vibrate on to the hyfax and create a vibration and howl sound maybe due to the closed windows on track hitting on hyfax? its really bad!...I'm also wearing ear plugs. :o| :4STroke:

I find it worst from between speeds of 40-60 mph,I changed all of my idlers to rubber and no change.

My buddy changed his hyfax's at the end of the season and noticed a big difference.I've also notice that they wear very wavy especialy in front of the rear inner idlers.

I thought of trying to open all of the windows on track...has anyone tried doing this? :? :o|

I thought it was only on the Monochock RA skids but it seems to be accross the board with these new RIPSAW tracks maybe by having all windows opened,would it be quieter???

I know for a fact by changing all idlers to rubber ones it doesn't change very much...my buddy still has his plastic ones and we exchange sleds and don't notice any difference...so don't spend any $$$ on idlers. :4STroke:

Back