• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shotgun Track? R S Track noise

i think its the noise of the wind in the tunnel because of the hole of the exhaust an 1.25 track make a lot of wind may be rubber wheel make a difference but not enough we should try a ripsaw on a viper and check who can do it ?

The powder snow makes mine quieter but I think it is just because the snow sucks up the noise so to speak. Mine is also extremely noisy while running on a jackstand with the wheels not touching.
Yamaha is really getting me fired up on this issue. My dealer has contacted them,I have called them and I also sent a certified letter to them all with no help or responce.
This winter I will be taking decibel noise measurements. I know from past experience that the noise these sleds are producing is no where close to what these sleds were supposed to meet for max decibels.
If your employer made you ride these things, he would be required to provide hearing protection.
In 30 years of riding I have never had anything that made so much noise,even piped sleds.
A touring sled that you need to wear ear plugs is plain stupid.

az99 said:
In 30 years of riding I have never had anything that made so much noise,even piped sleds.
A touring sled that you need to wear ear plugs is plain stupid.

AAAAAAAAAMEN!!!! ;)! :Rockon:

I've also talked to my dealer and he call yamaha and there not aware of any problems with loud track noise. I don't think those people answering the phones ever rode a sled. I'm very disgusted with it.

I was a paying test rider for Ski Doo till I got sick of that. So I switched to the supposed superior Yamaha only to find out that I am still a paying test rider.
I really expected more from them with such a wide spread problem.
It is no fun when a sled is so noisy you want to stop 1/2 way thru the day,burn it and walk back.
With these sleds approaching the price of cars, I am surprised Lemon type laws have not been introduced.
That might wake up all the Mfg's.- Doo rings, Firecat, 900 Poo etc.,etc.
I am going to try a 1" Kimpex fully clipped track and reduce the wheel diameter to just above new hy fax.
Maybe we can all figure this out.

Can anybody reccomend me what type of track for my RX1 '05 w/monoshock and should I look for a all clipped and open windows,and what about lug lenght...at this point I really don't know wich way to go. :? I'm having a hyfax over heat problems and the famous HOWL sound that a lot of us are experiencing,that YAMAHA seem to say that there's no problem or complaints to this subject. :shock:

I want to replace my track to try to QUIET down ride and make the right choice.the other thing should I stud or not,I'm not a stud fan but if it improves hyfax wear or any other problem we have at this point I'm open to suggestions :rocks:

The other thing I replaced all idlers for rubber ones and no improvements...I really don't know wich way to turn to:(

Has anabody read up on the new KIMPEX "shotgun" track?

OK Maybe I'm deaf, or my sled just doesn't make the noise. Are Rages affected also or just shorties? Just the sleds with the new skids maybe?

I ride my Rage and it seems quiet to me. I know it's quiet because when I need to ride my Wifes 04 Polaris 600 Classic I can't wait to get back on a civilized machine again. :yam:

I believe it just the shorties because my friend has a rage and he doesn't have the noise either.

TRACK NOISE

I HAVE A VENTURE 2005 I HEAR A VERY LOUD HOWLING NOISE FOR SURE WENT YOU ARE SIT IN THE FRONT OF THE SEAT NOT THAT LOUD WENT SITTING ON THE BACK AT ABOUT 90 KM H ON HARD PACK TRAIL LESS NOISY IF YOU HAVE FRESH SNOW ON THE TRAIL WEAR EAR PLUG FOR MOST OF THE TIME LAST WINTER VERY UNPLEASENT I BUY A 2006 AND I AM NOT GONNA ENDURE THAT NOISE THIS WINTER IF ITS STILL THERE I AM GONNA REPLACE THE TRACK FOR SURE

Here's my experience. Picked up a mint Vector, with 1100 Canada miles...had been serviced, and new slides. Love the sled. We ride hard, and it took everything I gave it, bumpwise. Now, late winter, frozen hardpack early, and 10 miles in, the slides were smoking. From that point on, I noticed a howl that was not there before, although all previous riding was on loose snow. Howl was almost unbearable by the time I got back (170 miles later). Still snow at home, so I began testing. Added small wheels from one of my RX's...no change. Drilled holes in the slide in various spots and added the RX idlers...in back, near the rear, the noise is worse. Don't do this.
The conclusion is that when the slides wear down, some kind of harmonic sets up, maybe from wheels, but probably resonating through the rail configuration. The noise is usually only between 35 and 55 or so.
My fix for this winter is to put on graphite slides (two seasons on one RX and virtually zero wear) and another set of idlers in the middle/front to help reduce drag from the slides (I would smell the track rubber burn on the blue RX when riding bare roads with no lube. The graphite does NOT want to wear down).
The little wheels in front don't help much.
Datz my two cents. And to ride above 55 mph at all times on hardpack..LOL.
Oh yeah, the blue RX with the original camo finger and 144 studs is super quiet at all speeds, while the black RX with Ripsaw has some vibes..not bad, but noticeable. Black one is also slower on top end too.

Back