• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder muffler bolts

Wingwong

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 YAMAHA SIDEWINDER LTX-LE
hey
Need some opinions. I’m Leaving the stock Muffler on my sidewinder for a few years. I currently have 500km on it and never touched the muffler bolts. Should I replace them now, as one of RockerDans threads recommends to do it. Or should I wait until I do change the muffler down the road.
If I do it now, am I still risking breaking the bolts in turbo? If I do how easy is it to remove the broken bolts?
Any input will help me!
Thanks in advance

I took one apart rafter a year of riding it was bad , I would do it now , longer u wait the worse it will be. Run a tap through it after & copper anti seeze

hey
Need some opinions. I’m Leaving the stock Muffler on my sidewinder for a few years. I currently have 500km on it and never touched the muffler bolts. Should I replace them now, as one of RockerDans threads recommends to do it. Or should I wait until I do change the muffler down the road.
If I do it now, am I still risking breaking the bolts in turbo? If I do how easy is it to remove the broken bolts?
Any input will help me!
Thanks in advance
I would do it soon as possible....

As I stated in my build thread(Sig below) I did mine the day after I brought it home. As soon as you ride it, the massive heat from turbo/muffler will weld the bolts in place, as they are put together without any anti-seize(that I know of.

I removed mine before I rode it, so they came out easily....added lots of nickel anti-seize and ever since, they always come out easily now.

My bud in '17 rode his sled half a season(maybe 600 miles) and then I took over and started modding it.....first muffler removal, snap! The stock bolts become brittle. We found that SS hex bolts with SS lockwashers and anti-seize work best, as they wont rust. Stock bolts are hardened and snap. Not a good design, and the torx style is ridiculous IMO.

Go easy on them removing them....I would run the sled abit, they tend to release easier when warm.....Replace with SS.

All info on this is here:https://ty4stroke.com/threads/my-rtx-le-50th-build-thread-rockerdan.149801/#post-1384052

Dan

img_9866-jpg.131867

img_9777-jpg.131736

img_8851-jpg.141476

I'd take them out and use that nickel anti seize. I took mine out at 800 miles and two buddies took theirs out with just under 4000 miles. None of us had problem. I used the stock bolts again except for the one that's a bitch to get at. That ones got a hex head hardened bolt in it.

Plus if you are away on a trip this winter, and you have a chain case problem , u can't get the exhaust off

Changing multiple bolts, finding the right ones at "that" store all the way across town. Sourcing rare anti seize products to anoint these new special bolts.

Still way easier than removing a broken bolt that has decided to be "stubborn". And this is being done in the comfort of your own shop. As someone mentioned, away on a trip, no thanks.

Have you not adjusted your chain tension? Should have the muffler off for that maintenance at 500 miles (800 kilometers for the users of the metric system) and 1-2 times per year depending on how many miles you put on per year.

Go to your Ford store and buy motorcraft nickle antisieze. Good stuff and way cheaper than permatex antisieze. Take a hammer and punch and hit straight as you can on the head of the bolts 3-4 times. Makes it easier to get the bolts out the first time.

Have you not adjusted your chain tension? Should have the muffler off for that maintenance at 500 miles (800 kilometers for the users of the metric system) and 1-2 times per year depending on how many miles you put on per year.
Great point Nick, didn't even think of that. I adjust mine a couple times a season.

I can get to tensioner from the bottom
Remove lower panel
And yes I’m at the 500km mark will do it soon then

Remove lower panel

When you say lower panel, do you mean the plastic? Or the oil change panel?

I think pulling the muffler off and anti seizing the bolts at least once a year is still good practice for future repairs.

Remove lower panel

Perhaps consider purchasing the muffler bolt Torx wrench from your dealer and keeping it as part of your tool kit -works great! Whereabouts in Canada are you located? I've used the nickel anti-seize (Motomaster) from Canadian Tire that Dan showed earlier and have had no problems removing them (touch wood). Were you up in Englehart last winter with the SLP Mohawks?

When you say lower panel, do you mean the plastic? Or the oil change panel?

I think pulling the muffler off and anti seizing the bolts at least once a year is still good practice for future repairs.

Lower plastic panel ( the red panel with exhaust hole)

Back