• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder xtx se 146 for mountain riding

Kuzzy

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 yamaha sidewinder xtx se
2022 STX GT
2017 King Cat M9000
I'm headed to crows nest pass for Jan 20. Am I going to be stuck all the time? Besides moving the skis in and making sure my limiter strap is all the way out, what else should I be doing to get the sled ready? I have a 250hp ecotrail tune, cai and the sled has a 2" paddle. I also have the rear tunnel brace/grab bar from cr, the full skid plate and a tether.

Last edited:

I'm headed to crows nest pass for Jan 20. Am I going to be stuck all the time? Besides moving the skis in and making sure my limiter strap is all the way in, what else should I be doing to get the sled ready? I have a 250hp ecotrail tune, cai and the sled has a 2" paddle. I also have the rear tunnel brace/grab bar from cr, the full skid plate and a tether.
Lithium battery is easy weight reduction.

It really is going to come down to what your expectations are and the group you ride with. I’ve never ridden your location but have spent some time in the mountains of Montana and Wyoming. Is it a mountain sled? Nope. Will it get you where you want to go and have fun doing it? More than likely. If you are riding with a group on similar sleds you’ll be fine as you will all ride where you and your machines are capable. If everyone is on the latest and greatest mountain sleds then you’ll probably wish you had more sled but you can still get around. You just need to pick your lines and know when to say when and turn out/take another pull at it. The new sleds are phenomenal compared to the stuff we were all on 15-20 years ago. We’d have all loved to have that sled/capabilities back then. We used to spend half a day playing in the same bowls, trying to climb out the top so we could try the next one. Now we blow out the top of stuff mid season that we couldn’t even get to until the spring snow season. Have fun! That’s why we all do this.

Thanks, we are all Prairie guys going up for the first time. No expectations other than our should be alot of fun. There are two sidewinders going, mine and a btx. I think the other 3 are riding newer rmk and possibly a skidoo. If I fall in love, I'll simply buy a dedicated mountain sled, but until then, I hope my little 146 does the trick.

I'm more looking for changes I can do to make things better. All I can think of doing is moving in the skiis and making sure that it is setup to lift the front end as easy as possible to get up on top of the snow. Im not sure how to set up a wheelie machine, but I'll probably make sure everything is basically on the softest setting.

Narrow the front, soften the front some, tighten the middle, and soften the rear. Riding a 4 stroker in the deep is all about picking lines, being smooth, and using momentum. Try not to stop pointing uphill.

Narrow the front, soften the front some, tighten the middle, and soften the rear. Riding a 4 stroker in the deep is all about picking lines, being smooth, and using momentum. Try not to stop pointing uphill.
What do you mean by tighten the middle? Should I pull in my limiter strap a hole? I have the stingray spring in there as well.

Yes I will carefully pick my lines, I was told the opposite on the stop pointing up hill. Could you clarify a bit on that as well? I was told if you are climbing and are not going to make it (and can't turn around), to spin the track and burry the tail, otherwise if you stop with the sled perpendicular, it will want to roll.

I'm not a huge risk taker like all of the YouTube guys that is for sure. This is so out of my element that I am just trying to get a sense of what to expect and watch out for.

Forgot about the sway bar. Definitely pull the dog bone from one side. That will soften the front and make it easier to roll up on its edge.

i would unbolt the swaybar too. also crank the middle spring or buy the heavy duty one, will help.
Never thought about unbolting the swaybar. From your perspective, what does it allow you to do? Side hill and hold a line better? im around 250lbs, i usually dont need much english to roll lol. ill definitely take the tools along to pop it off after leaving trail!

Never thought about unbolting the swaybar. From your perspective, what does it allow you to do? Side hill and hold a line better? im around 250lbs, i usually dont need much english to roll lol. ill definitely take the tools along to pop it off after leaving trail!
it will be easier to flip the sled on the side. less work needed.
Get one of this.
never tried one but i read often they break easy. better to just bring tools and its free lol

All the suggestions are great, the basics are like said above. soften ski shocks, tighten bills spring up some more and loosen the rear skid shock some. Set your skis to the narrow setting and pull the sway bar to help with side hilling.

Also spend some time watching some youtube videos from nextlevel he will help you understand using the brake and throttle to help move the sled around. And always if you arent going to make it turn out early, and get the sled side hilled pointing horizontal or slightly downhill.

Trip went well, i didnt really push anything as we were all pretty new and there were quite a few trees. Gettin a better grip at counter-steering while turning (both feet on side, leading foot "walking on snow"). Bought a king cat m9000, so got to play with both up in Fernie.

Trip went well, i didnt really push anything as we were all pretty new and there were quite a few trees. Gettin a better grip at counter-steering while turning (both feet on side, leading foot "walking on snow"). Bought a king cat m9000, so got to play with both up in Fernie.
The king cat would be q completely different beast!

Back