• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slow Speed Clutch/Tach Variation

hank

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'16 RsVector XTX 1.75
'07 Phazer GT
'16 Phazer RTX
Hi all,

I have a 2016 RsVector XTX 1.75. I bought the sled with 5800 mi and have ridden ~900 miles this season.

I have noticed that at slow speeds (20-29 mph) the clutch makes a slight chatter (feel as much as hear) and the engine tach varies back and forth about 300 rpm every few seconds. I changed the belt and it had no affect. The issue totally disappears once it reaches 5k rpm. My question is if this is "normal" or if the clutches need a rebuild. I previously had a 2010 RsVector LTX-GT and don't recall condition.

Thanks.
Hank

have you cleaned out the primary clutch? probably has a crap load of belt dust in the clutch causing it to stick.

i do know that 4 stroke yamaha's do not like to run below 18 mph as the exh and engine get hot from not enough air/snow on them.

Thanks. I blew out the clutches with compressed air prior to the season but not since. I mostly notice the issue in town or when meeting sleds on trail. Once the tach reaches 5k it completely goes away and works perfectly.

Hi all,

I have a 2016 RsVector XTX 1.75. I bought the sled with 5800 mi and have ridden ~900 miles this season.

I have noticed that at slow speeds (20-29 mph) the clutch makes a slight chatter (feel as much as hear) and the engine tach varies back and forth about 300 rpm every few seconds. I changed the belt and it had no affect. The issue totally disappears once it reaches 5k rpm. My question is if this is "normal" or if the clutches need a rebuild. I previously had a 2010 RsVector LTX-GT and don't recall condition.

Thanks.
Hank
Is the engine RPM actually changing or is it just the Tach changing?
The clutches do rattle at that RPM, that part is normal.
The clutches get louder with miles. If it gets too loud, the spider slider buttons and 0-rings can be replaced, it will help somewhat.

I'm not sure if the engine is changing -- the tach is shifting ~300 rpms back and forth at maybe 15Hz and I think the lower value is accompanied by a slight growl, nothing bad just different - it feels like the sled is holding back during the growl yet it runs just perfectly at more normal rpm/speeds. I guess the real question I'm asking is at 6700 miles should I go ahead and have the clutches serviced? The prior owner had meticulous notes so I am positive that there has been no clutch work to date. I prefer to be proactive on maintenance. Thanks.

Thanks Metallicat. I've never done any clutch work myself so have some homework to do.

Back