• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow piling up in Patten Maine

snowbeast

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 apex xtx traded for a 2017 sidewinder L-tx-le
FACEBOOK
yes
YOUTUBE
yes
Hi Sledheads,well its starting on time in Maine this year. But we do need much colder temps to freeze up things,as we have had snow than rain,and more snow and rain,and only some cold temps,not what we would like to see,but its a better start than just rain. So for now in parts of Maine we have anywhere from 10-20 inches,and right now in Patten my cousin is plowing 10-12" tonight and they had around 7-10" already still on the ground before this wet snow and warm temps,no riding yet of course,until things get real cold,but its a good start. Think Snow and hope everyone had a great Thankgiven today.

Well now after storm Ezekiel ha ha,these nerds have to name everything now,oh well here in Maine we survived,but we did not get what some got,and I think that's a blessing,at least for the guys who have to prepare the trails,and I sure have done more than my share of this,having been a trailmaster for 10 years,its a lot of thankless hours,doing trail work,we don't always have the luxary of just sitting in a enclosed tractor grooming trails,like some may think. The bad thing about very heavy snow is what it does to tree limbs,as the weight bends them down to the ground,and than freezes them in,making it very difficult to remove. OK on the good news,we in southern end of maine,at least in Sanford area,around a foot total from both days,Patten/Shin Pond may end up with a foot plus,but they already had about 12-20" on the ground before this,but don't forget,the ground had been froze some,than it gave it up,just before all this snow came,so if you do get out,and try to make a go of it,please stop and pull out branches that may be down,dont just drive around them and leave them for the next guy or gal. Happy Trails..

Hi snowbeast, I have a few of us looking to do a weekend trip up to the Patten area soon, are any trails being groomed yet or just ride what's on the ground. thanks

Hi snowbeast, I have a few of us looking to do a weekend trip up to the Patten area soon, are any trails being groomed yet or just ride what's on the ground. thanks
Right now I guess its ride what you can,i have a house on rt 11 almost next door to the Hanger Restraunt or ITS 112 conector. And I have not been up yet this month,but wife and I are going to be in town from dec.11th till the 13th,to do some work in garage and on sleds,so I might try to work my way to the field acrossed from the hanger,and take a peek around,that is depending on how much warmth and rain they get from today and tomorrow. As of right now I think its fair to say its ride at your owne risk. You might want to call Terry and ask for Blain up at Shin pond village,the Cam that they have working now is awesome. And I did see there tractor and groomer sitting there hooked up next to the barn,now maybe Blain took it out for a test or dry run,i am sure wet spots are plentiful.

Thanks for the reply. I think I stayed at a camp in the shin pond area a bunch of years ago. Can't remember what is was called but there a bunch of lodging, I think it was called shin pond camps? Is this the place with the trail cam you're speaking of?sorry I'm so vague with my description but it's been years since I was there.

Thanks for the reply. I think I stayed at a camp in the shin pond area a bunch of years ago. Can't remember what is was called but there a bunch of lodging, I think it was called shin pond camps? Is this the place with the trail cam you're speaking of?sorry I'm so vague with my description but it's been years since I was there.
Ya,i think it might have been,if you can access there website,its shinpond village,and they do have a nice web cam that now works very well,there phone number is 1-207-528-2900 ask for terry or her son Blain,he may have already taken the bully out. But it may be raining,up there now.How far do you live from patten? I see you have maine as your state,hopefully not to far away.Heck I am 4 hrs away myself.

Thanks for the info and phone number, I will give them a call after this rain and see if there is any riding available. I can't wait to try out ms17, I've been running power trail for 2 seasons

Thanks for the info and phone number, I will give them a call after this rain and see if there is any riding available. I can't wait to try out ms17, I've been running power trail for 2 seasons
I think there will be a huge difference,heck my old tune was stage 4 and now the mnm max 16 is better and appears to be faster,but have not had any lakes to safely run,the lakes last year,had way to much snow,to produce any good numbers. Where are you located in maine?

I live in Bowdoin, about 20 minutes from woody's yamaha. Riding around here is usually ok at best so I'm usually looking to head north whenever I can.

I live in Bowdoin, about 20 minutes from woody's yamaha. Riding around here is usually ok at best so I'm usually looking to head north whenever I can.
I know Kieth woods well,woody is a good guy,i had keith redo my tune and running his mods and muffler.Do you have snow now,on the ground? Well you are an hour ahead of my trip to my house in Patten,woody,s is 50 miles from my house in Waterboro,about an hour to get to keiths place.

He loads my tunes too. We've been friends for years, he got me into asphalt and ice racing boosted yammis and ive been addicted ever since. I built the additions on his store and put a garage on his camp. Definitely had a lot of fun with that guy through the years. Maybe me and my crew can hook up with you for a ride this year, always looking for people to ride with.

He loads my tunes too. We've been friends for years, he got me into asphalt and ice racing boosted yammis and ive been addicted ever since. I built the additions on his store and put a garage on his camp. Definitely had a lot of fun with that guy through the years. Maybe me and my crew can hook up with you for a ride this year, always looking for people to ride with.
Ya wife and I stopped in to see keith last year same time as now,we were headed to the show of lights up the cost just past woody,s place,and we shot the poop with him for a few,he told us how great it was the year before when him and his wife went up. Keith has always been busy racing sleds,either grass,asphalt or ice now and than,i remember when we got our rx1,s,we hooked up on the grass togeather than on lost pond or something like that for some radar runs,only 1/4 mile,but today that is a lot,most ice runs are only 660' maybe 1000' if lucky.

I stopped racing because my boys got old enough to ride trails with me but I do miss it. It is pretty cool watching the kids grow to love snowmobiling as much as I do, they're always asking when and where is the next ride and can I mod their sled. Chip off the old block I guess.

I stopped racing because my boys got old enough to ride trails with me but I do miss it. It is pretty cool watching the kids grow to love snowmobiling as much as I do, they're always asking when and where is the next ride and can I mod their sled. Chip off the old block I guess.
Yup kids grow up fast,its nice get them involved in things. When our kids were younger we did try and snow sled when we could as a family,but having 4 kids all active in the same sport gets very pricy quickly,but it was still fun. I remember before we bought our first camp in Stratton,we used to trailer to sally mountain camps in Jackman,what a trip that used to be back in the 80,s and 90,s,back than a trip from Jackman to Eustis,would take us 1/2 a day each way,and back than it was 75 miles one way,and don't forget breakdowns,cold children,fires along trailside to warm everyone up,oh ya,it took all day,but if I had to do it all over again,i would.

Patten and Sherman and shin pond trails,are starting to develop nicely. My buddy today finished up a two day blast,from Sherman to shin pond to madagamon and up its85 to oxbow and back,trails were all groomed from wetstone bridge to its114 and on up its85 to the store and over to oxbow,he said its 86 off its85 to Littleton looked groomed as well. Well its a start,even trails that had been just a few sleds was still good,no rocks,stumps or bare spots. They did 275 miles in day and half.

Back