• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Star suspension kit install XTX

My shocks arrived today after being rebuilt by Star. Great service from them so far and a quick turnaround on the shocks. When I get time I will put it all back together. I'm praying that it's an improvement over the stock suspension. Let it freaking snow!

Update: I installed the Star kit into my skid frame last night. I will say that it's very well made with several grease fittings and the directions were pretty good. It did take me awhile to put it together however as there is a lot to it. I also had Star rebuild my shocks and I bought the skidoo center shock spring as advised. Next up is putting the skid back in the sled. Any advice or tips on this? Hopefully this kit is awesome.

do not put the torsion springs on until the rear arm is bolted in place and use a crazy carpet to slide it into the track.

Nice tip with the crazy carpet. Thats just "crazy" enough to work. Putting in my xtx skid in the mornjng. Just had a local sudbury guy freshen up my shocks. Said they werent too bad for 14,000 k. No internal leaks or mixing. I also happen to have a crazy carpet in my quad. Definatley gonna give that a whurl. Thanks

I always remove the idler wheel from the axle end the nut goes on. No need for crazy carpet or ratchet strap. Leave the torsion springs relaxed, collapse the skid. Slide the front end up and in the track with the missing wheel side of the skid going in first. I've learned a dowel rod through the drop brackets will hold the track up for you. Swing the backend in over the drive lugs and drop it in place. My opinion, the WORST part of the install is keeping those metal cups with the seal in place on the front arm. A dab of grease on the inside face helps keep them in place, but it's no guarantee. I then lower the sled and pull the skid back until the front arm goes in the arched keepers in the mounting plates. Loctite both bolts and run them in. The rear arm will move fore, aft, up and down to line up with the rear brackets. By myself, I've done this regularly in 15 minutes. Long winded, but hopefully I've helped you.

Hahaha, long and awesome. All good tips. This is my second install counting last years bearing and slider swap. I did learn the collapsed front arm, the greased caps are a pain, springs off.... check. Ill try the one wheel off on the entry side. I used tow straps to hold the track up when doing the driveshaft last week. Definatley like have extra help but without all the bad advice, lol or "you shoulda", haha
Advice?..
My rear suspensions ride height seems low, stock springs still. Would you think the springs are baffed and new ones would help or go with what ive seen which is one xtx nitro spring on it?
Suspension moves freely but seems to sag too much.
Also considering the star suspension upgrades.

another member used a peice of plywood, i tried it and it was easyer to get the suspension into the track. forgot that trick until i has the 4th suspension in for the 2nd time. just makes it easyer to get it over the track drive knubs.

get my shocks done every few years as the rear main one is pricy up here. usually when he gets them i have no nitrogen left in them. i run nitro xtx springs on mine as the stock ones where too stiff for me. always have to pull it up the last few inches because of the stiction in the suspension. rides so well my gf told me to go buy a new sled as that one is hers now.

6A2B2D47-4DE1-4002-B365-D3D172A9E3CC.jpeg

Ya, the dowel in the rear holes sets you up like this. That did work well, collapsed front and wheel removed... still took me 25 min. I fiddled with the front for most of that. The rear was super easy. But I was alittle winded afterwards. Lol

Good job! Do it a few times and it will get easier. Now a MONOSHOCK skid....

I just rcvd my Star rear suspension kit and my skidoo center shock spring is on order per Star's instruction. My plan is to pull the skid soon and send my shocks to Hy-gear for a rebuild/revalve. Hy-gear is familiar with the Star kit and their settings. Any tips or thoughts on this? I've pulled many skids but not an xtx skid before. Are there bushings in the skid that I should replace also? I hope this kit works well.
You will be very happy with the Star linkage also Star is very good at valving XTX shocks for any weigh rider. When i had an XTX they did mine and was very happy with the results. Made the XTX very fun on the trails. This sled is no ditch banger but when set up proper handles studder bumps up to 1 foot very well.

See later post: Star kit seems very bouncy. I don't think the shock has enough damping, especially rebound. When you fully compress the suspension then let go it comes right up to the top with a clunk. Is this right? Something seems wrong to me.

Last edited:
Just to update all, the Star Kit is awesome! Sled rides like it should have from the beginning. I actually aim for bumps now!

From your prior post about something not right and too bouncy. What can you offer now. Did you change additional components. Shocks reworked?
I tried an mbrp muffler last week and that was a bust. The drone was too much to handle. Sounded good at idle and full flipper but at trails speeds where I ride with the family on the weekends it was un unbearable ..... Sooooo I have 400 bucks coming back to me and am figuring on the star upgrade. They had some high wear parts in the early additions. Arms sloped out early .... Any word if the kit is now designed for high mileage install it and forget it?.

Back